Xavier's Mission

Center for Mission and Identity

Back to Justice Hall

The Ruth J. and Robert A. Conway Library

Photo of XU Faculty inside the room for the Center of Mission and Identity

In the Center for Mission and Identity, the Conway Library is named for Ruth J. and Robert A. Conway, long time supporters of Xavier University. The Conway's generosity has included the All for One Club, the landmark exhibit "A Blessing to One Another: Pope John Paul II and the Jewish People", and the Ruth J. and Robert A. Conway Institute for Jesuit Education. Located within the Center for Mission and Identity, the library's expansive windows overlook the Xavier Yard.

Additional notes:

Opened: January 2012

More on the namesake: Bob is a 1949 graduate who has served as a member of the Board of Trustees for fourteen years, six as the chair of the Jesuit Identity Committee. While a student, he was captain of Musketeer football and president of student council. In October 2012, he received the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Award, the highest honor from the National Catholic Education Association.

Alumna artist Holly Schapker's painting of Ignatius Loyola, "Epiphany Outside Manresa," adorns the room; details are here.

A blessing of the Library was offered during the meeting of the Jesuit Identity Committee of the Board of Trustees on February 17, 2012 by Fr. Bill Verbryke, SJ (Superior of the Xavier Jesuit Community and member of the Committee). Mr. Conway and other members of the Conway Foundation, the staff of the Center for Mission and Identity, and artist Holly Schapker were present.