Students who are eligible to receive federal money in return for their work in on-campus positions or off-campus positions via the Community Service Jobs Program (CSJP). Students' eligibility for Federal Work Study funds is determined by the Office of Student Financial Services. These students receive priority in the hiring process.

  • Community Service Jobs Program (CSJP)

Community Service Job Program (CSJP) - Local service-oriented, non-profit organizations offer jobs that include a wide range of opportunities within the city limits. These opportunities help students develop a sense of social responsibility and touch the lives of community residents in meaningful and lasting ways. Xavier students working in these position must be awarded federal work study. View more detail about these employers.


Students that are not eligible for Federal Work Study funds, but the Office of Student Financial Services determines that they are eligible to receive University assistance to off-set expenses.


Students who aren't eligible for Federal Work Study or University Employment funds may also have an opportunity to work on campus. Xavier Employers are required to post all available positions and hire from the Federal Work Study pool of students whenever possible. However, if a department is unable to find an awarded student who meets their position criteria, they may then open their posting to all students.


International students aren't eligible for federal funded assistance. These students should confirm permission to work through the Center for International Education (CIE).

International students may seek employment with Xavier employers and approved non-Xavier employers located on campus. International students can only work on campus. While most of the student employment regulations are not different for national and international students, there are some differences:

  • International students are mandated by their visa status to maintain full-time enrollment each academic semester.
  • International student employees must get approval for any exemption to this regulation from CIE and their academic department.
  • it is very important that they understand the student employment guidelines and do not become ineligible to work due to violations of these guidelines. They may also work during breaks (Winter, Spring, Summer).
  • International students must come to the Student Employment Office to complete new hire paperwork and to receive eligibility to secure a Social Security Card from the Office of Social Security Administration.


Graduate students may be employed in a standard student employee position or in a Graduate Assistantantship (GA).

A graduate student who is in a Graduate Assistantship (GA) has signed a contract with the University to perform a certain number of hours of work in return for a stated compensation. In addition to their hourly pay, a tuition remission award is typically granted. GA's may work up to the number of hours indicated in their contract and within the dates indicated on their contract. Learn more about Graduate Assistantships.


Students receiving tuition remission, with or without a Federal Work Study award, may apply for on-campus Xavier-employer positions that they qualify for and if selected may work as a student employee during the academic year and/or summer semester. Students should apply for these positions on Hire-A-Muskie.

They may also apply for on-campus non-Xavier employer positions. Some of these they may apply to on Hire-A-Muskie, others they will need to apply to in person.