Professionals holding a valid Ohio teaching licensure who wish to complete requirements for certification as a reading teacher K-12, which is an endorsement to the teaching certificate or licensure, must complete the following coursework or have completed it in previous undergraduate or graduate study:
Choose Courses from the List Below to Complete the Required 21 Hours. Each class is a three credit hour course.
- EDCH 324/524 - Children's Literature/Early Childhood (or its equivalent)
- EDCH 326/526 - Children's Literature/Middle Childhood (or its equivalent) (fall only)
- EDCH 501 - Advanced Children's Literature
- EDCH 305/505 - Storytelling as a Cultural Craft
- EDCH 315/515 - Adolescent Literature (spring and summer only)
- EDCH 320/520 - Multicultural Literature for Children/Young Adults
- EDCH 528 - Topics in Children's Literature
- EDEL 351/651 - Instructional Strategies for English Language Learners
- EDME 562 - Phonics and Orton Gillingham
- EDRE 675 - Current Research in Reading (fall only)
- EDRE 676 - Teaching the Writing Process (Gr. 4-12) (spring only)
- EDRE 685 - Teaching Reading to Children with Special Needs (summer only)
MEd - Master of Education
Students can pursue a master's degree in reading in addition to the endorsement. Graduate level coursework taken as part of the Reading Endorsement may be used towards the MEd in Reading. The master's degree requires 30 graduate credit hours that include 9 hours of professional foundation courses and reading elective courses to complete the degree.
The master's degree is not a prerequisite for this endorsement.
If you are pursuing a Reading Endorsement only, the following documents are required: Xavier graduate application, official copy of college transcripts, and a copy of your teaching license. For candidates pursuing the MEd degree, the MAT or GRE test is required. All materials are sent to the Office of the Graduate School.
*Curriculum is subject to change.
Assessment Requirement for the Reading Endorsement: Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Reading (Subtest I)/038 and OAE Reading (Subtest II)/039 are required for the reading endorsement. For additional information please visit http://www.oh.nesinc.com