Smith Scholars are required to major in one of the WCB’s degree programs (Accounting, Business Analytics, Economics, Entrepreneurial Studies, Finance, International Business, Management, Marketing). Upon graduation, Smith Scholars receive a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree in a WCB major, a minor in Political Economy, and a graduate designation as a Smith Scholar. Smith Scholars honors courses count as University Scholars honors courses and Smith Scholars can participate in both programs.
In addition to the Xavier University undergraduate core curriculum, the WCB business core, and an approved WCB major, the Smith Scholars Program in Business requires completion of a minor in Political Economy.
University Core Requirements taken as a cohort:
- PHIL 100 – Ethics as Introduction to Philosophy
- CLAS 205 – Classical Literature and Moral Imagination
- PHIL 200 – Philosophical Perspectives
- PHIL 397/POLI 415 – The Paris Seminar in Political Theory.
- ARTS 111 – Creative Perspectives
WCB Business Core Requirements taken as a cohort:
- ECON 200 – Microeconomic Principles
- ECON 201 – Macroeconomic Principles
- BLAW 300 – Legal Environment of Business
- ECON 300 – International Trade & Business Environment
Requirements for the Minor:
15 credit hours are required for the minor consisting of the following courses:
- POLI 347 – Supreme Court on Civil Liberties (3)
- FINC 370 – Financial Markets and Institutions (3)
- BLAW 400 – Regulatory Environment of Business (3)
- ECON 315 – History of Economic Thought (3)
- ECON 370 – Economic Theory and Applications in Public Policy (3)
- IDST 499 – Senior Thesis (3)