A New Life For Old St. Xavier 1911 to 1945
On September 19, 1911, St. Xavier College purchased 26.747 acres from the Avondale Athletic Club for $85,000 to build a new suburban campus. "Nothing in years has so stirred the enthusiasm of St. Xavier men as the purchase by the college of the former Avondale Athletic Club property. 'A new life for old St. Xavier' is the first thought of every alumnus.' --Diamond Jubilee Alumni Bulletin, 1915
First Dormitory on Campus
When classes began in September 1924, St. Xavier College became a boarding college for the first time since 1854. Elet Hall accommodated 90 resident students. Because of the new dormitory, enrollment that year rose by 65 students to 249 total. "For 70 years, St. Xavier College has depended for its patronage upon Cincinnati and the neighboring Kentucky cities. As a result, St. Xavier has always been small and in consequence, the influence of the Jesuit educators for good has been sadly circumscribed." --College Circular, 1922
In the spring of 1925, The Xaverian News sponsored a contest to find an appropriate nickname for the athletic teams. Francis J. Finn, S.J. suggested "Musketeers." Finn believed the "All for One and One for All" motto attached to the legendary characters should symbolize the spirit of the athletic teams.
In 1930, the board of trustees proposed changing the name of St. Xavier College to Xavier University. On August 4, 1930, by an act of the state of Ohio, the college became Xavier University.