Opportunities for Non-Music Majors
The Department of Music provides a wide range of musical experiences to enrich the education of all Xavier University students. A variety of music courses and ensembles are open to all.
With the exception of MUSC 150-152 (which require basic music reading ability), the following courses require no music experience:
- MUSC 100 - Basic Music Theory
- MUSC 102 - The Beatles in Context
- MUSC 103 - Classical Music Through Film
- MUSC 105 - Hip-Hop: Music & Culture
- MUSC 106 - Music in Film
- MUSC 107 - Music and Video Games
- MUSC 108 - Music, Love, and Death
- MUSC 111 - Music: The Art of Listening
- MUSC 112 - Music: Now!
- MUSC 113 - American Popular Music
- MUSC 114 - Jazz: American Creative Music
- MUSC 116 - Women in Music
- MUSC 117 - History of Rock
- MUSC 119 - Creating Hip-Hop
- MUSC 127 - GarageBand, Logic & More
- MUSC 150 - Class Piano
- MUSC 151 - Class Voice
- MUSC 152 - Class Guitar
Minors in Music
Many students find that the combination of a minor in music with any other major is an attractive option at Xavier.
Private and Group Lessons
Instrumental and vocal lessons are available for credit to non-music majors. A non-music major may register for private applied study for one credit hour if (1) the student demonstrates a level of ability and experience appropriate to college music study, and (2) the applied music instructor has room in his or her load to teach a non-music major. Variable fees apply to each course and are specified in the course listing.
Xavier's performing ensembles frequently attract non-music majors. Each year several hundred students earn academic credit by participating in ensembles. Most are non-music majors but are talented musicians who make a high-level commitment to musical performance as an ongoing part of their University experience. Non-music majors should note:
- Ensembles are regular classes and carry one credit hour.
- Most ensembles require a placement audition, occurring at the beginning of the semester.
Ensembles with the largest population of non-music majors are:
- MUSC 260 - Concert Choir
- MUSC 261 - Women's Chorus
- MUSC 265 - Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- MUSC 270 - Chamber Orchestra
- MUSC 271 - Jazz Orchestra
- Pep Band (perform at Xavier basketball games!)
Performing Arts Grants
These highly competitive grants in amounts up to $2,000 per year are annually awarded to excellent student musicians who participate in select instrumental or vocal ensembles, regardless of their major course of study.