Xavier University is committed to providing incoming students with a good education at an affordable cost. Whether it's merit scholarships, grants, loans and employment, assistantships and fellowships, or even financing plans, Xavier is here to help you finance the education that you deserve.
For more information, please visit Xavier University's Financial Aid web site.
McAuley Art Scholarship Competition
Scholarships are awarded to incoming first-year students majoring in art with good academic achievement and outstanding artistic talent. The current four-year value of these awards is $152,000.
- Minimum of eight or maximum of twelve examples of your best work.
- JPEG's on flashdrive or
- Google Drive (make sure it's shareable!), Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc, emailed to email@example.com or
- Actual works are acceptable (Please no DVD's, powerpoint or PDF formats!)
- All work can be delivered Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. but no later than noon on Tuesday, February 1, 2022. Bring directly to the Department of Art, Room 190a, A.B. Cohen Center.
- Candidates mailing entries should send directly to:
Department of Art/McAuley Art Scholarship
A. B. Cohen Center/Room 190a
1658 Musketeer Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45207
*Mail early to assure meeting the February 1, 2022 competition deadline*
Portfolios must be CLEARLY LABELED with your name, address, home phone number, email address, high school, and must include an inventory list. A one page personal resume is required. All pieces must be matted in either black or white matboard unless in digital format. All work must be original. Copy work will not be considered.
NOTE: You must apply for admission and be accepted to Xavier prior to February 1, 2022, the competition deadline. Only those accepted to Xavier by this date are eligible to compete for the scholarship.
- Quality of ideas - works give evidence of creative insights rather than being superficial, or a cliche
- Variety of expression - works give evidence of ability to use different means of expression with various materials and techniques.
- Sensitivity toward media - works give evidence that the ideas are appropriate for the media
- Exactness in technical executions - works give evidence that they are properly made.
- Understanding of compositional structures - works give evidence that their component parts are well organized and interrelated.
Methods of Selection
Students who have their portfolios selected are designated as semi-finalists. These students will be notified in writing to come to Cohen Center at Xavier University for mandatory interviews with the Department of Art faculty on a date in February 2022 to be determined.
Notification of Final Winners
The Scholarship winners will be notified in writing approximately two weeks after the semi-finalist interviews, and will be asked to make an early acceptance. If the first place applicant should decline the scholarship, the second choice will be notified and so on in the order of merit.
Return of Portfolios
Applicants who have not been selected will receive notification by mid-February. Applicants may however telephone to receive the faculty decision in regard to their individual portfolio presentation and should call for their portfolios as listed below.
All entries, with exception of the semi-finalists' portfolios must be picked up by Friday, February 18, 2022, unless special arrangements have been made. The department will be open and a receptionist on hand for this purpose Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Out-of-town students will have their work returned (include SASE for shipping) unless they have requested other arrangements. Flash drives will not be returned unless sender includes a SASE.
For question or requests, please call Terri Yontz at 513.745.3811. It is hoped that all applicants will choose to attend the Department of Art at Xavier University.* If in the unlikely event the university is closed due to inclement weather on Tuesday, February 1, 2022 all work should be delivered before NOON on Wednesday, February 2, 2022.