Campus Crime Prevention
Crime Prevention is everyone's job on campus. Counting yours, there are about 16,000 eyes on our campus. Only a limited number are assigned to the Police. If you see something suspicious, or unusual give us a call.
- Always keep your door locked - day or night. NEVER let strangers in.
- Never lend your keys or leave your door unlocked for a friend.
- Don't bring valuables to campus. Leave them at home where they are most safe.
- Keep cash and other small valuable out of sight.
- Don't prop open exterior doors. You could be letting in an intruder. The doors are locked for your safety!
- Don't leave your books unattended.
- Know the location of building staff offices, phones, or other safe areas.
- Report suspicious persons or activity to building staff or Campus Police.
On The Grounds
- Be alert and aware of people around you.
- Don't walk alone, go with a friend, group or use the on campus escort service.
- Use public walkways, avoid shortcuts, dark or secluded places.
- Never hitchhike, pick up hitchhikers, or ride with a stranger.
- Never drink and drive.
- Always lock your bike to a fixed object. Use the U-shape lock for the best security.
- Always lock your car and take your keys with you. Lock your valuables out of sight. (In the trunk is best)
- Know the locations of emergency telephones or public telephones. Always keep a quarter handy.
- If you are a victim, call the Department of Safety/Campus Police immediately. We can assist you and advise you of your legal rights.
Vehicle Safety Tips
- Always lock your car and take your keys with you.
- Always place valuables in the trunk and lock it.
- Take all you cellular phones, laptops, purses, and book bags with you. Do not leave them in the car.
- Keep a spare key in your wallet instead of with the car.
- Use locking devices for your vehicle.
- When parking at night, use the shuttle service instead of walking.
- Keep your car's VIN in a safe place in case of theft.
- Close all windows, car thieves have tools to get into a vehicle through the smallest opening.
- Think of using an anti-theft device on your vehicle.
- Always park in a well lighted area and well traveled area.
- Keep a copy of the vehicle registration in your wallet or purse.
Why should you participate in Xavier University's crime prevention programs?
- Because we need your help to create a safe campus environment.
- Because crime hurts all of us.
- Because campuses with active campus crime prevention programs have reported dramatic reductions in crime.
- Because our campus crime prevention effort needs you to make it work.
To obtain more information about campus crime prevention, contact XUPD at 513 745-2000.