XU Alert Me
Sign up for XU Alert Me today!
Timely Warning Notices
Public Safety Notices
The purpose of this site is to provide a central communication point providing current information regarding campus safety issues and focuses on:
- Providing important safety updates. In the event of a campus incident, this site will provide the most current information;
- Actions students can take to stay safe on campus and in the community;
- Resources Xavier University provides for safety and security;
Xavier University is a community of almost 8,000 persons working, living, and studying on campus. As in all communities, personal safety, crime, and the loss of property may occur. Crimes of opportunity such as the theft of unattended books, computers, backpacks, or property compose 95% of campus crime. Crimes related to personal behavior and relationship issues, involving alcohol or substance abuse and personal responsibility, make up the balance. It is important to note most of these crimes are preventable. As you explore this website, we provide suggestions and tips on how to keep yourself and your property safe.
How Safe is Xavier
Families and students frequently ask, "How safe is the Xavier campus?" The answer is, very safe. Even though the 2018-19 academic year welcomed the largest first-year class on record, there have been relatively constant numbers of campus crimes reported. In fact, personal and property crimes have remained relatively flat over the last four years. However, it is important to note Xavier is part of a larger urban community and we make the personal safety and security of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors a top priority and maintain strong professional ties with the Norwood Police Department and the City of Cincinnati.
The Greater Cincinnati Community
Xavier is located primarily within the city of Cincinnati and is surrounded by three very different neighborhoods. The city of Norwood welcomes many of our students in off-campus housing and retail stores and venues. Evanston is one of several transitional neighborhoods in the area, and many of our students volunteer in the recreation center after school hours and work with the neighborhood children. North Avondale is one of the oldest, grandest neighborhoods in Cincinnati and is where several faculty members own homes and many students rent, taking advantage of its close proximity to campus.
Safety is everyone's responsibility
Every member of the Xavier community contributes to their personal safety. Below are important actions you may practice daily:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- "See it, hear it, report it" to Xavier Police, (513) 745-1000.
- Lock the door! Whether it is your vehicle, office, or residence.
- Protect and secure your valuables, do not leave them unattended.
- Maintain control of your ALL card, books, and bags.
- Do not abuse alcohol or other drugs.
- Use common sense.
More detailed explanations for each point may be found in Student Safety.
Xavier University Police Department
Xavier University maintains a professional, state-certified police force with police powers and authority under Section 1713.50 of the Ohio Revised Code. All officers have been certified through a certified Ohio Peace Officer's Training Academy as mandated under Section 1713.50(d) of the Ohio Revised Code. In addition we provide:
- 24/7 police patrols and dispatch center.
- Blue Light Assistance phones located throughout campus buildings and grounds.
- Secured card access residence halls.
- A variety of crime prevention programs each year.
- Mandatory fire safety training in each residence hall.
- An escort service after dark through XUPD dispatch.
The Xavier University Police Department utilizes a Community Oriented Policing (COP) program maintaining mutual aid agreements with the cities of Cincinnati, Norwood, and the Hamilton County Police Association. The success of the Community Oriented Police initiative has been recognized by Xavier's Student Government Association for its positive impact on students.
Emergency Phone (24/7)
1648 Musketeer Drive
Mail Location: 7212