Frequently Asked Questions
How do I file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
How do I apply for a Federal Direct Loan?
How do I apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents?
How do I apply for a Private Loan?
How do I make an appointment to meet with a Xavier financial aid counselor?
- Begin by creating an FSA ID, a username and password combination, at StudentAid.gov. (If you are a dependent student, one of your parents whose information is reported on the FAFSA form will also need an FSA ID.) The FSA ID serves as an electronic signature for the FAFSA and allows users to sign loan contracts and access certain information on the Federal Student Aid websites.
- Visit fafsa.gov to complete the FAFSA online. (Returning students should file a renewal FAFSA.)
- Include Xavier University's school code (003144) on the FAFSA.
- Electronically sign the FAFSA. A dependent student is required to have both their signature and one parent's signature on the FAFSA.
- After the FAFSA is received by Xavier University (usually 7 days from when you file), the financial aid staff will generate a financial aid package and notify the student. Financial aid information may be reviewed in Self-Service.
- Create an FSA ID, a username and password combination, at StudentAid.gov.
- File the FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
- Receive your financial aid eligibility from Xavier's Office of Student Financial Services.
- First-time borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- The parent should create an FSA ID, a username and password combination, at StudentAid.gov (if one has not already been created).
- Determine the desired amount of the loan and loan period (i.e., semester or academic year).
- Fill out the Direct PLUS Loan Application at StudentAid.gov.
- Complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Parents of dependent undergraduate students.
- The Department of Education will notify the parent whether the loan is approved or denied. If the loan is approved, the Student Financial Services Office will review the request and notify the student when the loan has been processed.
- Review Xavier's recommended Private Loan programs. You are free to choose any lender, including those not presented on the FastChoice site.
- Apply for a loan that suits your purposes.
- The lender will review the application and notify the student of their decision.
- Xavier's Office of Student Financial Services will receive a request to certify the loan after the loan has been approved.
- The loan will disburse to your student account at Xavier once it has received final approval from your lender. The earliest disbursement date will be 3 days before the start of a semester.
A financial aid counselor is available during the posted drop-in hours. No appointments are necessary.