Smooth Transitions is a pre-orientation and year-long mentoring program designed to help underrepresented students find their place and deepen their capacity to be leaders inside and outside of the classroom at Xavier and beyond. We define underrepresented as first generation, low socioeconomic status, and students of color. While the pre-orientation offers a holistic view of the Xavier experience, its primary purpose is to provide culturally restorative development opportunities that build social and institutional capital, self-awareness, and cultural competence. Our yearlong engagement continues the relationship building necessary for the skill lab experiences to take root and become life-long practices.
Smooth Transitions program objectives:
- Improve the learning capacity and academic mindset of participants through culturally responsive and culturally restorative engagement.
- Build student social capital and cultivate a network/village of support that increases sense of belonging and capacity to thrive at Xavier University.
- Deepen capacity for leadership locally and globally through intrapersonal and interpersonal cultural competency development.
Smooth Transitions core values and colors:
- Maroon - Leadership
- Orange - Creativity & Balance
- Blue - Wisdom & Wellness
- Gold - Success
- Green - Resilience & Growth
For more information about Smooth Transitions, please contact Diamond Brown.