Writing Center

Moving Forward: The Struggles and Reflections of Unavoidable Change

Lucie Potter | Writing Center Tutor

As a second-semester senior, one word has been a constant: change. Friendships, family, school, and careers will all cease to be what they once were as soon as I walk across that stage. Maybe that is a dramatic, but the inevitability of things being different from what they have been is impossible to avoid.   

It is not like I have never faced change before. I went from middle school to high school and high school to college. Yet this change feels significantly different and, in some ways, less attainable. Graduating college has always meant becoming an adult, but what if I do not feel like an adult? What happens after that?  

With all these unknowns, the best constant I have relied on is reflection. More so, reflecting on and trying to understand how college went so incredibly fast. As this chapter comes to a close, three things have stood out to me the most from my college experience that I would like to share. 

Number one: take classes that you are interested in, not just what is required or what you think is required of you. Some of my best college experiences have been in classes that I took just because. I was lucky enough to front load a lot of the required classes, allowing me to take classes based on my interests. Taking classes for my enjoyment led me to Italy and to add a new minor. I was able to find another possible career for myself while enjoying myself at the same time.  

Number two: appreciate your close friends. I have been lucky enough to meet some of the most incredible people who bring out the best in me. Throughout the years, I have built beautiful friendships I know will last a lifetime. My closest friends have become my family while at school, stabilizing me through these past three years.  

Number three: have fun, whatever version of fun is best for you. There is no monolithic college experience. Going out does not make or break having successful college years. Everyone’s version of fun is different. Doing what is best and fun for you is one of the greatest parts of college. You can explore and experiment with your social interests, allowing you to build a foundation for your adult social life.  

College is truly the best time to figure out what you want in life. Though I do not know necessarily what I want to do for the rest of my life or even what I want for dinner tomorrow, I know I have built a foundation here at Xavier that will guide me onward.  

Graduation is one of the highest forms of unavoidable change, but my experience will guide me to the next stage, whatever that may be.