Student Veterans Center



Does Xavier University accept VA Education Benefits?

Yes. Upon your request, Xavier University will submit all required information for the certification of benefits to the Department of Veterans Affairs on the student’s behalf.


What costs aren’t covered by the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®?

The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill covers tuition and mandatory student fees such as lab fees or technology fees associated with specific classes. Any fee or charge that is incurred that is optional, such as meal plans or parking passes, are the responsibility of the student.


How do I apply for VA benefits?

The first step in applying for VA Education benefits is to submit an application to the VA using the website. Once an application has been submitted to the VA, you must request to be certified by our office using the VA Education Benefits Enrollment Request Form available on our website for each term that you intend to use benefits.


What do I do if I’ve been recalled to Active Duty?

Alert our office as soon as you become aware of any orders you have received or may be receiving, even if you do not have the orders in hand yet, so that we are able to assist you in planning out the best course of action, given your specific situation.


How do I use my educational benefit at XU?

Using your VA education benefit at Xavier is as simple as applying directly to the VA for the benefit, and letting our office know each semester that you intend to use the benefit. Once each step has been completed, we will take care of the certification and submission of all of the required information on your behalf.


What is the Yellow Ribbon program?

The Yellow Ribbon program is a benefit that works in conjunction with the Post 9/11 GI Bill® to help cover any tuition related costs that exceed the private school maximum paid by the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. The program is an agreement between Xavier University and the Department of Veterans Affairs in which each agrees to contribute one half of the difference in order to cover the full cost of tuition.


Where do I submit my request for VA education benefits and any supporting documentation?

Any documentation relating to your VA education benefit can be hand delivered to our office where we will make a copy for you, or can be electronically delivered to The VA Education Benefits Enrollment Request Form is available on our website and is electronically submitted to our office when you fill it out.


When should I submit my COE and Yellow Ribbon Application?

The sooner you are able to provide your supporting documents to our office, the better. Providing the information is not required for certification of benefits, however, providing the documents to our office well in advance can help prevent delays in disbursement of payments, including tuition, housing and book payments.

If I’m eligible for Yellow Ribbon, should I also apply for financial aid?

Yes. All students can and should apply for financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This aid may qualify you for grants, loans and/or work-study opportunities.


Who are the on-campus contacts for questions regarding education benefits?

The Student Veterans Center staff serve as the primary point of contact for any one with questions about benefits and how they work. If one of our staff members cannot answer your questions, we will help get you in touch with someone who can.


Can I speak with a current student about their experience as a Student Veteran at XU?

Yes. The Student Veterans Center is a great resource to connect and network with fellow Student Veterans. Our office also facilitates a peer mentoring service for one on one interactions with a fellow Student Veteran who is glad to assist in any way possible.


Is there housing for Veterans and their families?

There are many housing options within reasonable distance available off campus for Veterans and their families. Our staff is glad to assist in pointing you in the right direction as well as providing counseling on best options based on your personal situation.


Does XU offer credits for military training?

Yes. Your military transcript will be assessed in the same way that transcripts from any other institution is and any applicable credits will be applied to your account. It is important that you submit your military transcript (Joint Services Transcript and/or CCAF Transcript) with your application so that we may gain a holistic understanding of your prior educational and training experience.