Student Veterans Support
Student Employment Team (Peer Mentoring and Student Veteran Liaisons)
The Student employment team is a group of Veteran and Military connected students who have a desire to support their fellow peers through two primary functions: peer outreach and collaboration with other offices/resources on campus and in the community.
- The peer mentoring component is designed to help incoming student Veterans make a smooth transition from the military to student life on campus. A Peer "Mentor" is an experienced, energetic Student Veteran who provides regular outreach with new undergraduate Student Veterans on Xavier's campus via face-to-face meetings, telephone and email. Peers Mentors communicate information about campus resources, provide encouragement and support, develop trust, provide appropriate referrals and are a point of contact within the Veteran and Military Family Center regarding all sorts of topics that include but are not limited to: housing, academic advising, VA education benefits, tutoring, mental health counseling, career and major exploration and so much more!
Student Veteran Liaison
- In addition to the peer mentoring, these student employees also collaborate with other campus offices, in order to develop and improve programming on behalf of that office for the Student Veteran community at Xavier. This includes but is not limited to workshops, events and marketing/communication that advocate for and support fellow Student Veterans. The Student Veteran Liaisons work with both the leadership in the Veteran and Military Family Center and the various campus offices that they are assigned to. The Liaisons promote awareness of the Veteran and Military Family Center and issues that Veterans face on campus and in the community.
Student Veterans of Xavier (SVX)
The Student Veterans of Xavier, which is Xavier's local chapter of Student Veterans of America, strives to provide all Veteran and military-connected students with a full range of services and programs designed to help our students transition to campus successfully and thrive both academically and professionally. As a part of that support, we strongly believe in the power of connecting Veteran and military- connected students with peers who have traveled a similar road and have a desire to reach back and help other Veteran and military- connected students along the way.
"Our mission is to assist our fellow Veterans and military family members during transition, support them in their academics, and provide a Veterans organization continuing our tradition of service to each other and our community."
- Frank Ebersole, President firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Monson, Vice President email@example.com
- Jacob DeMott, Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nathan Ray, Staff Advisor email@example.com