Dr. Mack D. Mariani
Professor, Political Science
Director, M.A. in Public Affairs
Co-Director, M.A. in Urban and Regional Sustainability and Resilience
Mack Mariani, a Buffalo native, is the 2008 and 2018 chicken wing eating champion of Xavier University. He also earned his BA at Canisius College (1991) and his MA and PHD at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University (1992, 2006).
Professor Mariani's teaching and research interests include campaigns and elections, congress and the legislative process, women and politics, and political internships/experiential learning. Mariani is co-author of Diverging Parties (Westview Press, 2003) and co-editor of The Insider's Guide to Political Internships (Westview Press, 2002). His research has appeared in Political Research Quarterly, Legislative Studies Quarterly, Political Science Quarterly, PS: Political Science and Politics, Politics and Gender, The Journal of Women, Politics, and Policy, Representation, the International Political Science Review, the Journal of Irish Studies, the Canadian Journal of Irish Studies, Comparative State Politics and Terrorism and Political Violence.
Mariani has mentored summer research students in the Summers of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 on a number of projects, including research on the gender gap in US elections, party behavior in Ireland, and the impact of institutional changes on descriptive representation and legislative careers in the Ohio General Assembly.
Mariani has 15 years of political experience, having served as a legislative aide and press secretary for U.S. Representative Bill Paxon, chief of staff for the Monroe County (NY) Legislature, and on the speechwriting and media relations teams serving Monroe County Executives Jack Doyle and Maggie Brooks. Mariani started in politics working as an intern for U.S. Representative Jack Kemp.
- POLI 140 - Introduction to American Politics and Government
- POLI 246 - Mass Media and Politics
- POLI 250 - American Political Humor
- POLI 345 - Congress and Interest Groups
- POLI 359 - Campaigns, Elections and Parties
- POLI 367 - Gender and Politics
- POLI 391 - Senior Seminar: American Government
- POLI 393 - Advanced Political Analysis
- POLI 395 - Campaign Internship
- POLI 397 - Political Internship
- POLI 399 - Political Communication Internship
- PPUB 621 - Quantitative Analysis and Research Design
Fall 2021 Office Hours
With the exception of the first week of class, my office hours will be on Mondays from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Important: I hold my office hours meetings on the main floor of the Gallagher Student Center. To schedule an office hours meeting, go here.
Parties and Elections, the Legislative Process, Gender and Politics, Internships and Experiential Learning
First Year at Xavier
- Ph.D. Syracuse University, 2006;M.A. Syracuse University, 1992;B.A. Canisius College, 1991