Graduate Program (MBA)
Executive MBA (MBA)
You don’t have to go far to get the very best. With Xavier University’s Executive MBA - the only program of its kind in Greater Cincinnati - you will make an investment in yourself for a lifetime of success. The Executive MBA is designed for experienced professionals who want to earn a MBA degree with other students of the same experience level and drive to succeed. There’s a reason why our Executive MBA is a top choice of VP and C-Suite talent in the Tri-State region.
The Executive MBA program is built around creating a strong cohort of students each year, all of whom will bring a unique perspective to the classroom and an innate desire to learn.Therefore, our application process is built on analysis of each candidate's professional experience and potential to both learn and contribute within the structure of the program. The Executive MBA program begins one time per year in the fall semester, and our goal is to admit between 15 and 20 students annually.
Applications are considered on a rolling basis throughout the year and will be accepted until Aug. 15; however, we will begin considering scholarship requests as of May 1. Priority will be given to those students who have applied and been accepted by this date.
Please note: Individuals with significant professional experience who have not obtained an undergraduate degree can be considered for admission into the Xavier Executive MBA program.
You will be considered for admission into the Executive MBA program when all application materials have been received. A completed application should be submitted via our online Application Management System and include the following:
- Resume listing complete professional work history and showcasing career progression
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, sent directly from the institution (electronic transcripts are accepted)
- Organizational chart, including a brief summary of the organization's business activities and your specific duties
- Professional letter of recommendation (1) prepared by someone familiar with your qualifications and capacity for MBA study
- Essay speaking to your interest in the Executive MBA and what unique knowledge and experiences you believe you can contribute to the program. You may also include any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you. The essay should be no longer than 2-3 pages, double-spaced.
These application materials will be reviewed within one to two weeks of receipt. Those candidates the Admissions Committee believes to have the potential for admission into the program will be invited for an on-campus interview with the Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs, the EMBA Director, and EMBA faculty.
The Executive MBA is Xavier’s most fast-paced MBA program, designed to allow busy professionals to achieve the degree in an effective, but efficient way. Classes meet two times per month (every other weekend) on Fridays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., for 16 months.
Participants experience a transformative immersion in business, guided by elite faculty from academia and the business community. What you learn today, you will apply tomorrow.
The Executive MBA consists of 22 business courses for a total of 50 credit hours. You will attend these classes with the same group of professionals, from the first day to the last. The close interaction among classmates and faculty promotes the importance of team and creates relationships that will last a lifetime.
The Xavier Executive MBA is one of the oldest in the country, founded in 1978 by the first Williams College of Business Dean, Thomas Hailstones. Since its inception, the program has been rooted in academic excellence and experiential learning.
During the 16-month Executive MBA program, students participate in real-world integrative consulting projects with regional companies, providing recommendations for corporate growth. Hands-on consulting projects make up 8.5 credit hours, and other courses during the program include various forms of experiential learning.
- BUAD 751 – A 12-week course in which Executive MBA students apply an integrated approach of classwork from Strategy, Finance, and Marketing to develop a strategic recommendation for a local small business ($1M - $10M in annual sales).
- BUAD 752/754 – A 6-month Capstone project with a different set of client companies and requiring a full-scale internal and external analysis. Students identify, select, plan, and provide an implementation strategy to senior management.
Executive MBA tuition includes a 10-day international residency experience. The location visited is different each year, and largely driven by the interest and input of students. While many Executive MBAs have traveled international personally and/or professionally, this residency remains one of the most memorable and influential parts of most every student’s experience.
Learning objectives include:
- Understanding the cultural, economic, political, and business environment of the countries visited
- Identifying important issues associated with the global business environment
- Achieving a working knowledge of local business practices through direct interaction with local managers and government officials
- Exploring the value of different economic models as benchmarks for global business practices
- Developing greater appreciation of the many differences and similarities among people living in other parts of the world
BLAW 751 (Ethics): - Teaches students to critically assess the legal and ethical implications of business decisions; resolve conflicts between legal and ethical responsibilities in the business context; incorporate legal and regulatory principles into organizational decision-making and strategic planning; integrate the concepts of respect and inclusiveness into decision-making; and identify the ethical path.
BUAD 790 (Corporate Governance): - Explores the factors necessary for overall board effectiveness and considers the relationship between governance and strategy as applied to publicly held corporations, privately owned corporations, and nonprofit organizations. Aspects of corporate governance covered includes the market for corporate control, corporate governance failures, shareholder activism, nonprofit boards, board diversity, board compositions, board structure, international corporate governance, alternative methods of governance, and executive compensation.
ECON 751 (International Microeconomics): - Introduces the economy’s behavior as a whole in today’s globalized economy. Topics include: national output and national income, aggregate demand and supply analysis, economic growth theory, unemployment, inflation, monetary and fiscal policies, trade theory and policy tools, and cultural/ethical issues in international business.
FINC 751 (Financial Strategy): - Applies financial theory to corporate finance decisions and issues in practice. Topics covered include valuation of real and financial assets, the market for corporate control, financing decisions and market efficiency, dividend policy and capital structure.
MKTG 751 (Marketing Strategy): - Provides a senior management level analysis of the major issues in the marketing management function. Class discussions are used to provide an understanding of how companies deliver superior customer value and profitability. Students will have an opportunity to develop strategy analysis skills by applying concepts and methods in case analysis of a variety of U.S. and multinational companies.
Tuition & Fees
|Tuition, per credit hour||Cost|
|Executive MBA Program||$1,225|
|Student Fee, per semester|
|Graduate Student Association Fee, degree seeking full-time||$8|
|Graduate Student Association Fee, degree seeking part-time||$4|
The amounts listed are for the 2019-20 school year, and include classes from Summer 2019 though Spring 2020. These amounts are updated to the most recent amounts available. For the full listing, please visit xavier.edu/costs.
“The combination of classroom and experiential learning pushed my performance to the next level as a strategic leader and manager, providing a framework and the tools to share knowledge and build into others in my organization.” - Michael Hunter, Senior VP at Contench Engineered Solutions (2016).
The Executive MBA will provide you with:
- An in-depth study and analysis of some of the world’s most important emerging markets including an immersive international business trip
- The solutions industries are developing when facing disruptive business models (and how to lead disruption in your organization)
- Experience working amongst and with high-caliber professionals from across industries on real-world, client-facing strategy projects
- The study of 21st century strategic business models and processes
- Identification of strategic implications and ability to understand the underlying financial drivers in today’s financial markets
- A survey of today’s emerging technologies
No. 20 in the nationfor best Executive MBA program
-U.S. News & World Report, 2019
ranked among alltier one global executive MBA programs
- CEO MAGAZINE, 2018
EMBA CELEBRATING 40 YEARS WITH INTERNATIONAL FLAVOR
While residencies can be prevalent in graduate school, Xavier’s Executive MBA program takes the experience to a whole new level — or in this case, to whole new locales in Bangkok and Singapore.
VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH TOM HAYES, DEAN OF THE WILLIAMS COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
Williams College of Business Dean Tom Hayes spoke with the Cincinnati Business Courier about his first semester as dean, how he connects his students to Cincinnati's thriving business community and his goals for the future of the college.
ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: YVETTE SIMPSON ON THE VALUE OF A XAVIER EXECUTIVE MBA
Yvette Simpson, lawyer and Cincinnati City Councilwoman, on how Xavier's Executive MBA program helped her become a better leader.
Statistics About This Program
COMPLETE THE EXECUTIVE MBA PROGRAM IN A TOTAL OF 16 MONTHS
THE YEAR OF THE EXECUTIVE MBA'S FIRST GRADUATING CLASS
Financing Your Education
Your financial needs are integral to selecting the right MBA program. It's important to explore all possible avenues to assist you in this endeavor.
MBA Program Options
We offer several ways for you to earn your Xavier MBA
Choose the schedule that works best for you with our most flexible option. Students can take classes in the evenings.
FOR WORKING PROFESSIONALS
Full-Time Day MBA
A one-year, full-time day program designed for exceptional students who have recently completed their undergraduate degrees and want to get a head start on their careers.
Offsite in West Chester
Classes in this location meet as a cohort in an accelerated format that allows students to complete their degree in less than two years.
MBA IN WEST CHESTER »
Executive MBA Program
The Executive MBA is a 16-month program designed for experienced professionals. The discussion is on a higher level and the focus of the coursework is experiential, enabling you take your career, and your company, to the next level. Learn how:
The Online MBA at Xavier is designed to keep working professionals on track for advancement. By attending classes online, you can earn an MBA in two to three years, at the pace that's right for you.
Take a class at Xavier as a visiting student or continue your education by pursuing a post-MBA certificate.
NON-DEGREE PROGRAMS »
As a student in the MBA program, you may find important resources for your time in the program. These include access to concentrations & electives, forms such as the concentration declaration e-form, MBA Global business program details, financial resources and much more.
CURRENT STUDENTS »