International Student and Scholar Services

International Scholar Information

The Center for International Education (CIE) is excited to welcome J-1 Scholars or Exchange Visitors (EV) from around the world. It is very common to refer to a Scholar as an Exchange Visitor, so you will see these two terms used interchangeably. Our goal is to provide assistance and guidance to Xavier faculty/staff so that international scholars can be an integral part of Xavier's flourishing global culture and international education. Exchange Visitors can be a Student, a Research Scholar, a Professor, or a Short-term Scholar (< 6 months). In this section, we will focus only on the non-student exchange visitors. Learn About the J-1 Student Category.

Department Faculty and Staff Interested in hosting a J-1 Scholar, please review the following links:

Hosting a J-1 Scholar/Exchange Visitor

Roles of ISSS

Department Check List

Department Application


The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and to return home to share their experiences. (Federal Register 58, 52, p.15196). A J-1 Exchange Visitor Status is only appropriate for a non-U.S. citizen who is coming to Xavier for a temporary appointment. Scholars should hold at least an equivalent of a US Master's degree or a bachelor's degree with extensive professional experience.


There are limitations on the length of time a J-1 Exchange Visitor may remain in the U.S. Short-term scholars may stay for a maximum six (6) month period. Professors and Research Scholars may stay for a maximum of five (5) years. When the J-1 Research Scholar or Professor ends the J program, he may not return as a J-1 Researcher or Professor for 24 months. Feel free to call and discuss this possibility.


The Department of State requires each J-1 Exchange Visitor and each J-2 dependent (spouse and children under 21 years of age) to be covered by insurance at the minimum level below for the entire time they are in the U.S. in J status. J-1 Exchange Visitors interested in coming to Xavier must provide the following minimum medical coverage upon arrival at Xavier and check-in with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). In some cases, proof of insurance may be required before issuing the DS-2019 document. The DS-2019 is the Certificate of Eligibility document that is needed for Exchange Visitors and their dependents to apply for the J-1 visa to enter the US. Failure to comply requires termination of the J-1 status for the Exchange Visitor and their dependents.

Minimum Requirement Set by the Department of State

1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;

2. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;

3. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the Exchange Visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and

4. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness;

5. Additionally, please confirm that the insurance company to be used by your organization meets the required "A" rating as stated at 62.14(c). If the sponsor is insuring the participants, please provide a copy of the policy and/or brochure, including exclusions and the rating of the policy.

An Exchange Visitor who willfully fails to obtain or maintain the insurance coverage, or who makes a material misrepresentation to the sponsor concerning such coverage, shall be deemed to be in violation and shall be subject to termination as a program participant.

Xavier University policy requires that all J-1 visa holders required to study, must purchase the Xavier student health insurance plan. Learn More About the Xavier Student Health Insurance Plan.

If your exchange visitor category does not require you to study, you may pick from a different insurance provider to cover for yourself and your dependents (spouse/children). As a quick reference, the following companies provide health insurance coverage to international scholars and their dependents:

CISI International:

HTH Worldwide:

Compass Benefits:

ISO Travel Insurance:

Visit and Travel Insurance:


Besides enabling a prospective Exchange Visitor to obtain a visa, the DS-2019 also provides the U.S. government with important program information for tracking and monitoring purposes. Furthermore, it allows the U.S. Consul who issues the visa to determine whether the Exchange Visitor is subject to the "Two-year Foreign Residence Requirement" (Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended.) According to that requirement, Exchange Visitors in the following categories must return to and remain for two years in their country of nationality (or last permanent residence) before applying for permanent residence in the U.S. or for a temporary worker (H) or intra-company transferee (L) visa:

  • those receiving financial support from the U.S. or a foreign government;
  • those whose skill has been listed by their country of nationality (or last permanent residence) as one in short supply there; or
  • foreign medical graduates coming to the U.S. for graduate medical education or training.
  • Note: Occasionally, waivers of the provision from the home country can be obtained, but it can be a long and difficult process.