International Students and Scholars Home
Information for International Students & Scholars regarding new SEVP guidance and Fall 2020 return to campus
*This page will be updated as new information becomes available; this situation is dynamic and things will change.
FAQ SEVP Guidance for International Students
On July 15, 2020, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) issued an FAQ. The July 15 FAQ comes on the heels of a resolution reached by ICE and Harvard/MIT in connection with a lawsuit filed challenging the July 6 directive that if implemented would have blocked the ability for many international students to remain in or enter the United States. Based on the court resolution, ICE agreed to cancel the July 6 directive and revert to a policy that existed in March. On July 24, 2020, ICE issued Clarifying Questions for Fall 2020. The FAQ document represents Xavier's best reading of the ICE guidance and regulations.
Is the CIE office open? How can I talk to an ISSS advisor?
- The CIE is now open for fall semester, but walk-in advising is very limited.
- Most questions can be answered by email. We are checking the email@example.com account daily.
- You can still call us at 513-745-2804 from 1:00-4:00pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- We can schedule phone or videochat appointments (Zoom). Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a phone/video appointment.
- In-person advising is only available for urgent cases and by appointment.
- For urgent cases, please email Tsvety Karaivanova directly at email@example.com.
- CIE can accept documents digitally (email) via firstname.lastname@example.org. You can send us requests (letter, CPT, OPT, I-20 extension, etc.) and supporting documents.
Regular university updates will be provided at www.xavier.edu/return-to-campus
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) support students and scholars from abroad to achieve their academic goals and enrich the campus community with opportunities for growth through cross-cultural interaction.
ISSS offers the following services:
- Non-Immigration advising for international students and scholars in F-1 and J-1 status;
- Orientation and adjustment assistance;
- Promotion of cultural awareness and understanding through programs and activities.
Currently, 155 international students and scholars are present at Xavier University. International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) works closely with faculty, staff, campus organizations and community groups to ensure that international students, scholars, and their families have the greatest opportunity to achieve their academic and personal goals. ISSS serves as the focal point on campus that deals with the unique needs, questions and concerns of those who come to Xavier University from abroad.