Jae Hoon Choi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Economics
Dr. Jae Hoon Choi is an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Williams College of Business - Xavier University. Dr. Choi completed his Ph.D. degree in Economics at the University of California Santa Cruz in 2017. He also earned M.A. degrees in Economics at the University of California Santa Cruz and Boston University, and B.A. degrees in both Economics and Chinese at Bates College.
Dr. Choi’s research interests are in international finance, open macroeconomics, and macroeconomics, with a focus on understanding the dynamics of exchange rates and international capital flows. In his recently published article, he presents a New Keynesian small open economy general equilibrium model and shows that middle-ground policies can be optimal in countries whose market is sensitive to exchange rate risks. His doctoral dissertation featuring this article won 3rd place at the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey Research Awards 2017.
At Xavier University, Dr. Choi regularly teaches macroeconomics and international macroeconomics courses: Macroeconomic Principles, Macroeconomic Analysis, and International Macroeconomics and Policy. He also teaches Managerial Economics to MBA students. Before joining Xavier, he has taught Econometrics and International Financial Markets at the University of California Santa Cruz. He received the Milam-McGinty-Kaun Award for Teaching Excellence at the University of California Santa Cruz in 2016.
First Year at Xavier
- PhD Economics (University of California Santa Cruz)
- MA Economics (University of California Santa Cruz)
- MA Economics (Boston University)
- BA Economics (Bates College)
- BA Chinese (Bates College)
- Choi, Jae Hoon and Limnios, Christopher, “The cost of breaking an exchange rate peg: Synthetic control estimation,” International Journal of Central Banking (forthcoming).
- Choi, Jae Hoon and Limnios, Christopher, “Choice of foreign exchange intervention and inflation targeting commitment,” Finance Research Letters (2021): 102402.
- Choi, Jae Hoon, “Capital controls and foreign exchange market intervention,” Journal of International Money and Finance 101 (2020): 102098.