Student Veterans Center

Dependents' Educational Assistance - Chapter 35

If you’re a dependent spouse or child—or the surviving spouse or child—of a Veteran, you may qualify for the Dependents' Educational Assistance Program.


  1. Apply to Xavier University
  2. Apply for Dependents' Educational Assistance benefits, once your application has been approved by the VA, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by mail
  3. Upon being admitted to Xavier, schedule an appointment with the Veterans Advisor, Spencer Rumley, to schedule courses (undergraduate students only, graduate students should contact their program director or academic department for guidance on scheduling courses)
  4. Provide a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Veterans Advisor, Spencer Rumley either by email or hand delivery (If you have previously used VA Education benefits at another university/college, please complete VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)
  5. After you have scheduled courses, complete the VA Education Benefits Enrollment Request Form available on the Current Students page

Am I eligible for Dependents' Educational Assistance benefits?

You may qualify for Dependents' Educational Assistance benefits if you’re the child or spouse of a service member or Veteran and one of the below descriptions is true.

One of these must be true of the service member:

  • Died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001
  • Is missing in action or was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force
  • Was detained (held) by force while in the line of duty by a foreign government or power
  • Is in the hospital or getting outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability, and is likely to be discharged for that disability. A service-connected permanent and total disability is a disability resulting from your service that doesn't go away.

One of these must be true. The Veteran:

  • Is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability
  • Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability

If you’re a dependent who doesn't meet the above criteria, you may still qualify for VA education benefits if the Veteran or service member transferred some or all of their Post-9/11 GI Bill to you while they were on active duty.


  • Education and training
  • Money for tuition
  • Money for housing
  • Money for books and supplies
Learn more about the Depentents Educational Assistance Program