In an effort to reduce survey fatigue and enhance security, the Office of Institutional Research is implementing new survey guidelines, effective immediately. Any survey going to more than 100 members of the Xavier community requires approval from the Office of Institutional Research. For more information, please review the complete survey guidelines: View survey guidelines
In support of Xavier University's research and assessment efforts, Institutional Research coordinates and supports university survey projects. Our services are intended to optimize the quality of study conducted, minimize survey fatigue, and ensure optimal response rates.
Faculty and staff may request consultation for:
- Survey design or item construction
- Online survey administration
- Data analysis
- Identifying contact information for targeted population
Important Survey Guidelines:
- In order to minimize survey fatigue, survey administration plans may need to be adjusted to avoid overlapping with other survey efforts
- A survey sent to more than 500 members of the university community is to utilize Today at Xavier and the Announcements site for communications to faculty and staff, and to submit communications for inclusion in the SGA Student Weekly for communications to students. These can be submitted at xavier.edu/announcements. Any communication outside these channels to the university community, including email blasts, should go through University Communications via a request from a member of the Senior Executive Team.
- A survey invitation targeted to more than 500 current students requires specific approval of the Provost Office
- IRB approval documentation must be submitted with each Survey Request Form. In determining whether your survey requires IRB approval, please see the IRB's FAQ (IRB FAQ) and contact the IRB directly ( IRB@xavier.edu) with any questions about how to initiate the review process
To request survey assistance, please complete a Survey Request Form (link below) at least 3 weeks in advance of the intended survey launching date. If IRB approval is required, documentation of your survey's "Approved" or "Exempt" status must be submitted as part of your Survey Request Form.