Undergraduate Program (BA)
Take time to choose the perfect career path by starting classes at Xavier before declaring a major. More than a third of the students in a typical first-year class at Xavier have not chosen a major, and many more switch majors during their first or second year.
Xavier by the numbers
AVERAGE SIZE OF CLASSES
STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITIES
ON-CAMPUS CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
XAVIER GRADUATES ACROSS THE GLOBE
Explore the Core
At Xavier, you'll have the freedom to pursue any path and explore your passions. Our core curriculum, which includes first-year seminar classes, opens multiple fields of studies and interests in a challenging and fun environment. Sample first-year seminar classes include:
- A Short History of the Future
- Socrates Meets Jesus
- Reading the Web
- Bob Dylan
- Bicycling our Bioregion
- Pop Culture and Civil Rights
PERSONAL ATTENTION THAT'S THE XAVIER DIFFERENCE
Your academic advisor will help you make the right choice when it comes to your college career through all four years.
A SOLID FOUNDATION
Rooted in Jesuit heritage, no matter what your major is, you'll gain a solid foundation in lifelong values and skills through Xavier's core curriculum.
EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS
Attend the annual Career and Major Exploration fair to get the latest academic information and learn more about career paths, study abroad programs, the job market and much more.
90 undergraduate majors and 60+ majors
undergraduate majors and 60+ majors
The Xavier Experience. There's Nothing Like It.Play Video
- Participate in the First-Year Seminar program. We'll work with you during your first year, and all along the way, to help you discover who you want to be, what good you want to do in the world, and what plans we can make together to help you get there.
- Talk to your academic advisor to learn more about the range of majors available at Xavier and/or career opportunities.
- Visit the Career Development office to discuss your interests, abilities
- Declare your major.
- Request your own professional mentor.
- Start to develop your résumé.
- Enhance career and leadership skills.
- Get involved in internships, volunteer work
andstudy abroad programs.
- Launch steps toward post-graduation goals.
- Finalize your résumé.
- Start interviewing for a job or completing plans for graduate school.
AKOSUA ADDO: TAKING TIME TO SELECT THE RIGHT FIELD OF STUDY
For alumna Akosua Addo, starting at Xavier without declaring her major was key in helping her establish a successful business career in Chicago.
KRISTINA SILVA: THE EXPLORATORY MAJOR WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME
The best part about college is that you can change your mind. You can change your mind about your major with a quick trip to your advisor. You can change your mind about the classes you sign up for. You can change your mind about most anything.
TAI PIAZZA: FROM UNDECLARED MAJOR TO WORLD TRAVELER
For someone who didn't know what he wanted to do when he came to college, Tai Piazza sure made the most of his Xavier experience. Now he travels around the world for the company that turned his internship into a full-time job.