Dr. Leslie Rasmussen
Dr. Rasmussen teaches a variety of courses in public relations, advertising, and social media. Her classes have partnered with local organizations like the Music Resource Center (Evanston), Findlay Market Farmstands, and the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens. She also serves as the Communication Department internship coordinator. Her research in public relations and social media examines social media as a vehicle for mobilizing publics for a number of reasons, and in different contexts. Her recent research includes the examination of influencers as a public relations mediators, online trolling challenges to crisis communication, and channeling trolling as part of a broader strategy.
Dr. Rasmussen previously taught at Iowa Central Community College and at Utah Valley University where she was named University Faculty Member of the Year in 2013 and PRSSA Faculty Member of the Year in 2013.
Public relations/strategic communication, social media use and strategy, crisis communication, brand storytelling
First Year at Xavier
- Ph.D., University of Southern Mississippi (2012)
- Rasmussen, L. (2018). Teaching Trolling: Management & Strategy, Journal of Public Relations Education.
- Rasmussen, L. (2018). Parasocial interaction in the digital age: An examination of relationship building and the effectiveness of YouTube beauty celebrities. Journal of Social Media in Society, 7(1), 280-294.
- Rasmussen, L. (2015). Planned Parenthood takes on Live Action: An analysis of media interplay and image restoration strategies in strategic conflict management. Public Relations Review, 41, 354-356.
- Rasmussen, L. (2012). What accent? The marginalization and assimilation of Latinos on television: A connotative reading of ABC’s Modern Family. Synergy, 3(1), 103-109.
- Muralidharan, S., Rasmussen, L., Patterson, D. & Shin, J. (2011). Hope for Haiti: An Analysis of Facebook and Twitter Usage during the Earthquake Relief Efforts. Public Relations Review, 37, 175-177.
- Fisher, M., & Rasmussen, L. (2018). One For All: Mississippians’ Fight For a New Flag. In R. Luttrell and L. W. Capizzo (Eds.), Public Relations Campaigns, Sage Publications.
- Rasmussen, L., & Fischer, M. (2018) Blackfish backlash: SeaWorld’s attempt at navigating a crisis situation. In B. Brunner and C. Hickerson (Eds.), Cases in Public Relations: Translating Ethics into Action.
- Rasmussen, L. (2014) Catfished: Exploring viewer perceptions of online relationships. In F. Slade, A. Narro, and B. P. Buchanan (Eds.) Oddities of Culture. Lexington Books.
- Rasmussen, L. (August 30, 2016) Trolls and a case of mistaken identity. In Media Res. http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2016/08/30/trolls-and-case-mistaken-identity