Montgomery G.I. Bill Selected Reserve - Chapter 1606
In order to be eligible for Montgomery G.I. Bill Selected Reserve program benefits you must be a member of the Selected Reserve: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard. Your specific Selected Reserve component will determine if you are eligible for benefits which may include up to 36 months of educational benefits.
HOW CAN I USE THIS BENEFIT AT XAVIER UNIVERSITY?
- Apply to Xavier University
- Request and fill out a DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility with your guard or reserve unit.
- Apply for the Montgomery G.I. Bill Selected Reserve, once your application has been approved by the VA, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by mail
- Upon being admitted to Xavier, schedule an appointment with the Veterans Advisor, Spencer Rumley, to schedule courses (undergraduate students only, graduate students should contact their program director or academic department for guidance on scheduling courses)
- Provide a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and Notice of Basic Eligibility to the Veterans Advisor, Spencer Rumley either by email or hand delivery (If you have previously used VA Education benefits at another university/college, please complete VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)
- After you have scheduled courses, complete the VA Education Benefits Enrollment Request Form available on the Current Students page
- Each month that you are enrolled, you are required to verify your enrollment with the Veterans Administration through the WAVE system; this is required to receive your monthly payment
Am I eligible for the Montgomery G.I. Bill Selected Reserve program?
You can get education benefits under this program if you meet the requirements listed below.
One of these must be true:
- Have a 6-year service obligation in the Selected Reserve
- Are an officer in the Selected Reserve and you agreed to serve 6 years in addition to your initial service obligation
Note: Your obligation must have started after June 30, 1985, or for some types of training after September 30, 1990.
And all of these must also be true. You:
- Complete your initial active duty for training
- Get a high school diploma or certificate of equal value before finishing
- Stay in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit
WHAT KIND OF BENEFITS MAY I BE ELIGIBLE FOR?
You can receive up to $384 per month in compensation for up to 36 months.