Admissions and Financial Aid
The admissions committee considers many variables. The entire set of credentials presented by the applicant is considered. However, a low standing on one criterion (e.g. grade point average [GPA], Graduate Record Examinations [GRE] score) does not automatically mean rejection, nor does one very high standing on one criterion mean automatic acceptance.
- Online application for the psychology graduate programs will open on August 1st for admittance Fall 2020.
- The applicant must possess a bachelor's or master's degree or their equivalent from a regionally accredited institution. The prior academic record must indicate ability and preparation necessary for pursuing graduate studies.
- The minimum prerequisite for the program is 18 semester hours of undergraduate courses in psychology. These courses include general psychology, introductory statistics, psychology research methods, and nine semester hours in other upper-division, undergraduate courses. It is strongly recommended that applicants have taken an undergraduate course in I-O psychology and psychological testing.These courses can be taken after acceptance.
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) is required in undergraduate and/or graduate coursework. Overall GPA in a degree program and GPA in the psychology courses are both assessed.
- The General Test portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all applicants. The Psychology Subject Area test is required for all applicants who did not major or minor in psychology. Xavier University's institution code is 1965.
- Research experience is also considered. This may reflect anything from collecting data to publication in refereed journals.
- Work experience is also assessed. This may include internships and/or work experiences relevant to I-O psychology.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic/research sources, along with those describing other types of experience are required. It is strongly recommended that a minimum of two of the letters be from an academic resource.
- Compatibility of the applicant's interests with those of the faculty is often considered, but not necessary for acceptance.
- The applicant's ability to write, as reflected in the Personal Statement, as well as in technical writing shown in published research, is also taken into account.
- Above all, the applicants should demonstrate why they are interested in pursuing graduate study in I-O psychology, and why they feel Xavier is appropriate for that study.
Applicants should see that the School of Psychology receives all application materials before the deadline date of February 1. Application materials can be submitted online or mailed to:
School of Psychology
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45207-6511
- Apply online at https://admit.xavier.edu/apply/
- A non-refundable $35.00 application fee
- Official transcript from all previous colleges and universities attended. These include colleges and universities that involve transfer credit
- Three letters of recommendation are required
- A written Personal Statement reflecting a commitment to I-O psychology
- Official test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)- General Test (required)
- An application for possible financial assistance (optional)
- Any other information that might aid in the selection process
Applicants from foreign countries or who completed their degree overseas are required to submit transcripts evaluated by World Education Services (WES), a financial statement, a sponsorship letter, and official TOEFL scores, as well as the other requirements outlined above.
Official test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) should be sent to Xavier University's institution code, 1965.
A limited number of graduate research and lab/teaching assistantships are available within the School of Psychology. Applicants are also encouraged to apply for graduate assistantships in other departments on campus. For more information on these assistantships, contact the Office of the Graduate School at 513-745-3957 or email at XUgrads@xavier.edu.