Welcome back to campus Xavier students! While you were away for summer break, Xavier was busy with renovations, construction, and other campus improvements, creating new programs, entertainment, and food options, and adding new people and ways to make life better and more fun for you. There have even been some changes off-campus that may interest you. Here are the things to know about before you begin the new school year:
1. The Health United Building opens its doors to 64 classes of students on Monday, Aug. 19, for the first day of the fall semester, including for Nursing, Occupational Therapy (shown below moving into their new lab space), Radiologic Technology, Health Services Administration, Exercise Science and Sport Management. Additional sport-related classes including Athletic Training are scheduled to meet in the HUB when the Recreation Center side of the building opens in January for the spring semester.
2. Inside the HUB, Health and Counseling Services, staffed by TriHealth and Xavier medical and counseling professionals, opens its doors to students on Monday, Aug. 19. It is located on the main floor to the left after entering the HUB from Cleneay Avenue.
3. The long-awaited upgrades to the food court on the first floor of the Gallagher Student Center are finally completed. Students will enjoy the new space, now called Ryan’s Landing, where Blue Blob’s Diner has a Milkshake Bar and the All For Subs shop lets you create your own sandwich. New this year—mobile ordering from your phone.
4. Additional upgrades:
• The Mail Center has a new look. Updates made over the summer are aimed at improving services for students and all of campus.
• The Clock Tower Lounge on the third floor of Gallagher, pictured above with construction scaffolding, is now a substantially larger, more user-friendly space that still offers the awesome views it always has of campus and the Xavier Yard.
• Brockman Hall and The Village Apartments had major renovations made top to bottom, and the roof on Kuhlman Hall was replaced.
5. A human-sized chess board is now located outside Gallagher. You can check out game pieces from the welcome desk. Also E-Sports is now a real thing at Xavier. Gamers can check out games from the front desk at Gallagher and retire to the new D’Artagnan’s Den near Ryan’s Landing to play, or sign up for competitive gaming sponsored by Recreational Sports. Learn more.
6. All students will enjoy new free benefits this year including free laundry and a new streaming TV service through the SpectrumU app, along with their free textbooks. For the TV service, all you have to do is download the app and log in with your email.
7. There is a new college on campus. The School of Nursing is now the College of Nursing —bringing to four the number of colleges at Xavier. The college will be better able to focus on the educational needs of the 1,100 students in one of Xavier’s most popular majors.
8. Four new Jesuit priests are joining Xavier this year, as professors, parish officiants and administrators—the largest increase in the number of Jesuits at Xavier in many years. Learn more about Eric Sundrup, S.J., Luke Hansen, S.J., David Inczauskis, S.J., and Christopher Mapunda, S.J., as well as all of Xavier’s current Jesuits in this story about the Victory Parkway Jesuits.
9. Near to campus, construction on the Wasson Way Project is bringing the hike and bike trail over I-71 toward Norwood where it will connect with Xavier at Montgomery Road near Dana. Completion of this phase 2 is slated for early November.