Strategic Human Resource Management
The Department of Management and Entrepreneurship offers the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM). It also offers a minor in SHRM. Effective human resource management creates an environment in which people can do their best work, contributing to achievement of an organization's vision, mission, and strategic objectives while respecting the dignity of employees as human beings.
The SHRM curriculum provides students the opportunity to take advanced courses that are both theoretical and practical in nature. Students will gain a deep understanding via experiential opportunities in various human resources functional areas such as staffing, compensation, training and development, change management, international human resources, and labor relations. Additionally, students will gain an understanding of the strategic importance of SHRM in achieving organizational goals. The SHRM curriculum aligns with the Society for Human Resource Management’s recommended guidelines and provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to be high performing HR professionals.
By studying Strategic Human Resource Management, you will:
- Understand how strategic human resource management enables an organization to achieve a sustained competitive advantage.
- Critically analyze human resources issues from theoretical, practical, and ethical perspectives, and recommend evidence-based solutions.
- Be prepared for a professional career in the human resource field in for-profit companies and non-profit organizations.
In addition to traditional studies, Strategic Human Resource Management majors:
- Take advantage of internships at leading companies and organizations.
- Get matched with an Executive Mentor who works with the student for his or her four years at Xavier. The mentor can provide professional guidance, networking support, and career connections. Xavier is one of the first schools in the nation to offer this type of mentor program to all business students.
- Join the Human Resources Club, a student organization focused on furthering the career goals of SHRM majors and minors. The HR Club’s mission is to expand members' knowledge of various HR functions and help prepare them for professional careers. The club provides opportunities to visit companies, speak with professionals, and learn about human resources across various industries.