Performance Management Model
Performance Review Collection Reminder- July 2020
- Per the existing process, supervisors should pass the reviews for their areas up the administrative line to the appropriate Direct Report (DR). DRs will ensure that all reviews for their division have been completed before forwarding them to OHR.
- DRs should forward hardcopies of the reviews to OHR through interoffice mail. For the sake of convenience, this can be done after June 30 but no later than August 14 as access to campus resources increases.
Xavier University carries out its mission through the individual and collective contributions of a committed and engaged workforce. Employees need to understand how their respective contributions are aligned with University goals. They desire to be supported, treated with respect and recognized for unique styles and skills. Likewise, supervisors build trust by acting in a transparent manner and initiating ongoing feedback.
This mutual understanding is at the heart of Xavier's Performance Management program.
Our program enables all employees to perform at their best by:
- Aligning the work performed by supervisors and employees with departmental and university goals
- Encouraging communication between supervisor and employee throughout the year so there are no surprises at the annual Performance Review session
- Promoting a consistent methodology in performance assessment through fairness and transparency
- Fostering and rewarding excellent performance
The benefits of goal setting are:
- Connects each employee's goals to the University goals
- Allows employees to set goals for their own personal and professional growth
- Breaks strategy down into relevant, measurable and attainable elements
- Drives University achievement in key areas (development, campus enhancement, financial well-being as well as employee growth and engagement)
Managers and employees should develop goals together and document them at the start of the fiscal year. Ideally, this should happen immediately after the annual performance review discussion. The goals should support the overall objectives of the organization, which should in turn help in the achievement of the specific goals of the Xavier Way. Goals may be altered, or perhaps even added, as the year progresses and new challenges arise.
Achieving Our Goals Phase
This phase essentially runs year-round. It includes the execution of our day-to-day jobs as well as working on specific initiatives or projects that are part of our goals. Frequent communication among all team members will help to keep these efforts on track and avoid any surprises.
Evaluating and Rewarding Phase
APRIL 1 - June 30, 2020
Due to the impact the COVID-19 virus has had on the University’s overall operation, the performance review cycle for 2019-2020 has been extended. All completed staff reviews are now due to the Office of Human Resources (OHR) by June 30, 2020. Supervisors are encouraged to begin the process and schedule review sessions sooner rather than later, as the review conversations will need to be held remotely for the foreseeable future.
The recently-postponed informational sessions for supervisors and non-supervisors are now offered as autoplay PowerPoint presentations. You can find the presentations in the list of documents in the right-hand margin at the top of this page. There is a module for supervisors and a module for non-supervisors.
Xavier University maintains a total compensation
Tools for Annual Performance Review Process
- Information Session for Supervisors
- Information Session for Non-Supervisors
- University Goals 2020-2021
- 90-day Performance Review Form
- Annual Performance Review Form
- Abbreviated Annual Performance Review Form
- FAQs for Annual Performance Review
- Performance Review Guidelines
- Annual Review Checklist
- Values Wheel
- Core Competencies Brief