Day One Program
Think of Day One as the Ultimate Library Card!
The Day One Program makes getting your required course materials one of the easiest things for you as you start the Xavier University experience. Day One takes the guess work out of textbook selection and we take care of the cost of your rented textbooks. Day One ensures you have the right textbooks and course materials to be successful from Day One.
Benefits of the Day One Program
- You "rent" at no additional fees the required material for the semester and return it during Finals Week!
- Having required course materials makes it easier to be more successful in class.
- Get all required course materials conveniently.
- Easily access, manage and use digital course materials.
- Minimize the time spent searching for deals on books.
- Don’t worry about getting the wrong book or wrong edition.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Day One work?
The Day One program takes the hassle out of book buying because textbook costs are covered as part of the course fees. This allows every enrolled student access to all required materials on Day One. Once you have selected your courses, your course list will be sent to the Gallagher Bookstore. The Gallagher Bookstore gets everything ready for you. All you need to do is pick up your required textbooks and materials during Manresa (new student orientation). You'll need to check your Manresa schedule once it is available for location and times. Please visit our policy page for more details.
Will I save money?
Yes! You will not pay out of pocket for your required textbooks and materials, textbook costs are covered. On average students will spend between $500 - $800 a semester on course material at other Universities!
What format will my required textbooks arrive in?
If your required textbook is offered in a digital eBook format, you will receive the textbook in digital eBook format. If your required textbook is not offered in a digital eBook format, you will receive a physical textbook.
- If an e-book format is available for any of your required textbook titles, you may access them at https://brytewave.redshelf.com or follow the directions sent to your Xavier email address. Please visit our e-book tutorial page for more tips on using your new e-book. *You may print through your eBook using your Print/Copy Funds on your All Card at any print station across campus.
How do I get my books?
Once you have selected your courses, your course list will be sent to the Gallagher Bookstore. The bookstore gets everything ready for you! All you need to do is pick up your Day One Material!
- Fall Semester - Manresa for First-Year students. Move-In or first day of classes upper classmen
- Spring Semester - Move-In or first day of classes for all students.
What if I add or drop a class or change sections?
If you drop a class or change sections, or if any of your classes are canceled, please make sure to return materials to the Gallagher Bookstore, Gallagher Student Center, immediately. Do not hold onto them until the end of the term.
If you add a class, you will receive an email from the bookstore once your material is ready to be picked up.
What are students saying about the Day One program?
Students love the convenience and ease of accessing their course materials and being ready for classes on Day One!
If I am studying abroad for a semester, will the benefits of the Day One Program apply during a semester studying abroad?
No. Since students who study abroad are studying at a different university that has non-Xavier faculty, staff, course offerings, course schedules and policies it is not possible for Xavier to coordinate to offer the benefits of the Day One Program during a student's semester studying abroad. During study abroad students are responsible for paying the cost of their text books. When students return to Xavier from studying abroad they will be able to take advantage of their Day One Program benefits.
If my professor has recommended course materials, will those be included in the program?
Professors are responsible for notifying (on-time) the Gallagher Bookstore of materials needed for all classes. Only materials identified by your professor as “required” are included as part of the program. All “recommended” materials will be made available for purchase at the Gallagher Bookstore and xavier.edu/bookstore.
What do I do after finals?
All books must be returned to the Gallagher Bookstore during finals week.
- The final deadline to turn in your textbooks is the Friday of Finals Week.
- If you wish to keep a book, or if a book is lost or damaged, you may convert to purchase at the Gallagher Bookstore at any time throughout the semester by paying an additional cost.
- Non-return materials will be cause for charges and holds applied to your Bursar account from Xavier
I like keeping my books at the end of term; can I do that with this program?
After the semester is complete, all course materials and textbooks must be returned to the Gallagher Bookstore. However, If you wish to keep a book, or if a book is lost or damaged, you may convert from a Day One rental to a purchase at the Gallagher Bookstore at any time throughout the semester by paying an additional cost.
Please visit our Policy Page for more details.