College of Arts and Sciences

Academic mentoring for internships

For many Xavier faculty members, fostering the professional development of students extends beyond the classroom, encompassing guidance in securing meaningful internships. Reflecting on my own journey, I realized that the ignition of my internship at Total Quality Logistics (TQL) stemmed from a connection facilitated by a fellow student. This connection not only opened the door to my first internship during the summer after my first-year, but also evolved into a transformative experience that spanned five semesters. Internships play a pivotal role in shaping a student’s professional trajectory, and there are key insights that could empower faculty in guiding students towards securing impactful opportunities.

During my internships, I had the privilege of contributing to three distinct roles—software development, business intelligence, and data governance. This multifaceted exposure allowed me to gain a comprehensive understanding of various roles within the IT domain and aided in my vocational discernment. Undoubtedly, the most enriching aspect of my internship was the hands-on experience it provided. Classroom teachings often feel abstract, and my internships became a bridge between theory and practical application. The opportunity to shadow professionals across different IT roles allowed me to explore my interests and identify the specific niche where I could envision myself thriving. Being vocal about my interests afforded me the opportunity to be one of three people on a newly created team.

Arming students with the knowledge and strategies for securing internships is a crucial aspect of academic mentorship. Drawing from personal experience, I would argue that the significance of early initiation, diverse role exposure, and hands-on learning cannot be overstated. Despite not having extensive knowledge, my ability to learn quickly and adapt on the job helped me stand out from my peers. Faculty can play a pivotal role in facilitating these experiences by promoting networking events, providing resources on industry trends, and encouraging students to articulate their career goals. By incorporating these elements into academic guidance, faculty can contribute significantly to the professional growth and success of their students, preparing them for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead in their chosen fields.

Jaid Goh
Class of 2024
B.A. Computer Science 
H.A.B. Philosophy, Politics, and the Public
Theology Minor & Mock Trial President
CAS Student Advisory Board member