College of Arts and Sciences

Speed deaning

Two weeks ago, we three Associate Deans of Arts and Sciences – Tim Brownlee, Steve Yandell, and I – set out for the University of San Francisco to attend the annual Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities (AJCU) Arts and Sciences Deans’ Conference. This was the first time each of us had the chance to participate, and we were determined to soak up and bring back to Xavier every ounce of knowledge we could. 

The experience was a whirlwind. With over 60 deans in attendance, we had plenty of opportunities to get to know almost everyone, finding the perfect balance between networking and practical discussions about many of the issues confronting Jesuit campuses today. One standout event was our "Speed Deaning" session, where new attendees formed an inner circle facing outward while experienced deans made up the outer circle facing inward. A facilitator asked thought-provoking questions (e.g., What are you proudest of in your time as Dean? What are challenges facing your college?) and prompted interactions between the circles as the outer circle rotated every three positions, creating a unique and enjoyable method of networking. We even had a rather unconventional task: locking eyes with someone and sincerely saying, “I see you, I hear you, I love you." It certainly added a memorable (and somewhat surreal) touch.

The dean’s group email list-serve had already proven to be a valuable tool for exchanging questions and insights during my time thus far in the Dean’s Office, yet the chance to share space with other deans facing similar challenges was an extraordinary experience. The Xavier CAS Dean Team divided our attention among different sessions, delving into topics like DEI assessment, faculty workload management, student success and retention, the hurdles of limited resources, guidance for newly appointed deans, and best practices for supporting both faculty and staff.

What truly struck me was how these conversations, whether formal or informal, connected previously isolated concepts in my mind. I've been thinking non-stop about how to best put into action all the valuable insights that I gained. I know that my fellow Associate Deans feel the same way.

Throughout it all, a recurring sentiment resonated deeply: Xavier isn’t alone. We aren't just separate colleges and universities; we are a community bound by a shared language and Jesuit values. We have allies within the AJCU community who are ready and willing to share their knowledge and help us address our questions, all for the collective good of our AJCU group. For this, I am genuinely thankful.

Dr. Dena Morton
Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences