Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
Chair and Professor, Business Analytics and Information Systems
Dr. Smith is Professor and Chair of the Business Analytics and Information Systems Department in the Williams College of Business at Xavier University. He holds a PhD in Business Information Technology with a focus in Management Science from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, an M.A. in Actuarial Science from Ball State University, and a B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Scranton. A former analyst and benefits consultant, Dr. Smith has been on faculty at Xavier since 2006. At Xavier, he focuses his teaching and research in the areas of computer-based data mining applications, data modelling and business statistics, along with their associated ethical implications. In addition, he is an active academic community member in business analytics curriculum design as well as a member of the Greater Cincinnati Higher Education IT Collaborative.
Dr. Smith is co-inventor of Xavier University’s suite of American Dream indices which includes the American Dream Composite IndexTM (ADCI), a unique and robust measure of sentiment that allows for the valuing of the American Dream on a monthly basis.
Predictive Modelling, Business Statistics, The American Dream, Analytics Pedagogy
First Year at Xavier
- Virginia Tech, August 2006 Ph.D. in Business Information Technology
- Ball State University, May 1996 M.A. in Actuarial Science
- University of Scranton, June 1993 B.S. in Mathematics
- Smith, G.E., Baker, W.H., Watson, K.J., & Pokorski, J., “A Critical Balance: Collaboration and Security in the IT-Enabled Supply Chain”, International Journal of Production Research, 27 (11) 2007, pp. 2595-2613.
- Smith, G.E., Watson, K.J., & Baker, W.H., “Perception and Reality: An Introspective Study on Supply Chain Information Security Risk”, Issues in Information Systems, 9 (2) 2008, pp. 272-278.
- Smith, G.E., Ariyachandra, T., & Frolick, M., “Business Intelligence in the Bayou: Recovering Costs in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina”, International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, 1(2) 2010, pp.21-29.
- Smith, G.E. & Ragsdale, C.T., “A Deterministic Approach to Partitioning Neural Network Training Data”, Advances in Business and Management Forecasting, 7(1) 2010, pp. 157-170.
- Smith, G.E., “Big Bang Data Generation: Reinforcement for the Discriminant Problem”, Contemporary Perspectives in Data Mining, 1(1) 2012, pp. 43-57.
- Smith, G.E., Laker. L., & Tesch, D., “Lessons Learned: The Evolution of an Undergraduate Research Program”, Information Systems Education Journal, 11(4) 2013, pp. 31-38.
- Smith, G.E., & Fortin, R., “In Pursuit of the American Dream”, The Ripon Forum, 48(1), 2014, pp. 22-23.
- Smith, G.E. & Burns, D., “Data Privacy in Loyalty Programs: An Exploratory Investigation”, Contemporary Perspectives in Data Mining, 2(1), 2015, pp. 3-23.
- Foster, K, Smith, G.E., Ariyachandra, T., & Frolick, M., “Business Intelligence Competency Center: Improving Data and Decisions”, Information Systems Management, 32(3) 2015, pp. 229-233.
- Hyland, D., Pawlukiewicz, J., & Smith G.E., “The D’Artagnan Capital Fund: A Novel Approach to Moderating a Student Managed Fund”, Journal of Financial Education, Accepted. To be published in 2019.