Comprehensive Evaluation: Four Parts
HLC appoints a team of peer reviewers to evaluate the institution's effectiveness in fulfilling a set of criteria along with its fulfillment of compliance with federal regulations. The comprehensive evaluation includes four parts:
1. Assurance ReviewThe Assurance Review determines whether Xavier continues to meet the Criteria for Accreditation. Xavier will prepare for this review by crafting an Assurance Argument supported by an Evidence File. An Assurance Argument is a narrative that demonstrates Xavier's fulfillment of five Criteria for Accreditation:
- Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct
- Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support
- Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement
- Institutional Effectiveness, Resources, and Planning
Xavier's Assurance Argument is due to HLC by March 15, 2021.
2. Federal Compliance Review
HLC will review Xavier's compliance with Title IV program responsibilities and other specific regulations. As a federally recognized accrediting agency, HLC is required to undertake this review. This review is necessary to ensure that Xavier is eligible for federal financial aid. Xavier's Federal Compliance Review is due to HLC by March 15, 2021.
3. Student Opinion Survey
HLC conducts an online survey of the institution’s student body prior to the on-site peer review visit. The survey is intended to give students an opportunity to participate in the evaluation process, and to help identify questions for the peer reviewers to ask while on site. Xavier's Student Opinion Survey will be conducted in November 2020.
4. On-Site Peer Review Visit
A team of peer reviewers appointed by HLC will visit Xavier on April 12-13, 2021. During their visit, the team will meet with a variety of campus community members to discuss and verify elements of the Assurance Argument and Federal Compliance Review. Afterwards, the team will produce a comprehensive report to HLC along with their recommendation regarding reaccreditation. HLC will then decide on a course of action.