College of Arts and Sciences

Tyger Tyger, burning bright

Working from home on the morning of the university’s first ever “remote day,” I find myself pondering the meaning of animals.

Not the meaning of Q the cat. His malicious intent as he trips my feet down the stairs each morning is clear enough!

Nor am I concerned this week with what a groundhog means, for a day or for a season. Didn’t we already ask that question yesterday?

Instead, this morning I’m mulling what a tiger signifies.

This week launched the tiger’s year. The noble beast occasioned celebrations across the world — albeit in a muted, pandemic mode.

The year of the tiger! Surely that can’t be a coincidence!

Might this be the key to the longsuffering of our local football team? Admittedly, it’s far-fetched. It’s been far longer than a dozen years since the team enjoyed success.

But wait. This is the year of the water tiger.

After a little back-of-the-envelope regression analysis, the meaning is clear: our beleaguered Bengals, established 55 years ago on the Ohio river, will flourish this year and every year of the water tiger. Every 60 years.

Trust me: put your money on the Bengals in 2082*

*If you play, know your limits. Expect to lose. Bet responsibly. Plan ahead. Way ahead. No betting on events before 2082!