Student Athlete Academic Support Services
As a student-athlete, you represent Xavier University in intercollegiate athletic competition and are a regular, full-time student of the University. You have the same academic responsibilities as students who are not athletes, and you must devote sizable amounts of time and energy to participate in your sport. Student-athletes have the ultimate responsibility for learning and for following a program that leads to a college degree. To support you in these efforts, the Xavier University Academic Advising Office in conjunction with the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics seeks to provide quality academic support services that will give you the greatest opportunity to excel in academics while competing in intercollegiate athletics.
The SAASS is an athletic academic resource center located on the second floor of the Cintas Center, housing the offices of Angela Wyss, Chris Barbour and Stephanie Hurley. In the SAASS student-athletes can make tutorial appointments, use computers or reserve laptops for team travel. The SAASS provides a number of services that include, but are not limited to, monitoring student-athletes, academic progress, providing assistance in selecting a major and supervising study hall. Every effort is made to make the transition to college life as smooth as possible for you. It is the goal of the staff to see that Xavier's student-athletes have every opportunity to complete their education. It is a sincere hope that the SAASS provides a basis for you to discover the importance of finding a balance between academic, athletic, social and personal development.
Goals of the Athletic Academic Resource Center
- Support student-athletes? efforts to receive a quality education and graduate from Xavier University with their chosen degree;
- Encourage and facilitate student-athletes? goals for their career and for their personal development;
- Ensure that the academic integrity of the University is maintained;
- Comply with the rules and regulations of the University, the Big East Conference and the NCAA;
- Help ensure athletic eligibility during student-athlete?s tenure at Xavier University