Xavier Honors Faculty Remotely for 2019-20 Academic Year
Oct 16, 2020
Xavier University recently honored the achievements and contributions of its esteemed faculty for the 2019-20 academic year. Xavier's provost Melissa Baumann hosted a virtual ceremony for this year's awards.
The 2019-20 Xavier Teacher of the Year is Dr. Edmond Hooker. A part of Xavier's faculty since 2003, Dr. Hooker teaches in the Department of Health Services Administration.
Each year, students nominate faculty members for this most prestigious award. It is presented annually by the Xavier chapter of Alpha Sigma Nu, the Jesuit honors society.
In this year's nomination, one student wrote: "Dr. Hooker's class is so relevant and he brings in stories from his career as an E.R. physician to each lecture. He truly cares about each student, knows them by name and is willing to help in whatever capacity possible."
In addition to teaching, Dr. Hooker continues to be active in emergency medicine and public health research. Xavier.edu featured his work on the front lines combating COVID-19 in April.
Congratulations to all of our wonderful faculty, we appreciate all you do for our students!
Below is a list of faculty receiving tenure and promotions this year for their service to Xavier University.
Teacher of the Year
- Dr. Edmond Hooker, Department of Health Services Administration
Promotion to Senior Teaching Professor
- Holly Kaminsky, Department of Mathematics
- Nancy Matre, Department of Biology
- Lisa Niehaus, Department of Nursing
- Kimberly Renners, Department of Finance
Received Tenure and Promotion to Associate Professor
- Eileen Alexander, Department of Health Services Administration
- Suparna Chatterjee, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Ahlam Lee, Department of Leadership Studies and HRD
- James Loveland, Department of Business Analytics and Information Systems
- Katherine Loveland, Department of Marketing
- Marcus Mescher, Department of Theology
- Stephen Mills, Department of Chemistry
- Jonathan Morris, Department of Physics
- Gail Latta, Department of Leadership Studies and HRD
Promotion to Rank of Professor
- Blis DeVault, Department of Communication
- Dorothy Engle, Department of Biology
- Jonathan Gibson, Department of Art
- Justin Link, Department of Physics
- Lisa Jutte, Department of Sports Studies
- Thomas Knesstrict, School of Education
- Esmeralda Nastase, Department of Mathematics
- Nicholas Salsman, School of Psychology