The purpose of the activity is to introduce students to informational interviews, career exploration and personal branding. In addition, it helps students appreciate the value of developing a professional network and gives them a taste of the Mentor Program.
This is a required event for business freshmen enrolled in the career-development course, Business Profession I. For most students, this will be their first professional networking event.
WHAT IS THIS ACTIVITY?
- You will meet with a business professional from the local community.
- You will be seated in small groups (3-5 students and one business person).
- During the session, you will share a little about yourself (i.e., your major, career interests, background, etc.).
- You'll learn about the executive, position and company by asking questions (aka "the executive interview").
In essence, you'll be networking and conducting an informational interview.
AGENDA & LOGISTICS
- Sessions last one hour
- 15 minutes -check in, review bios and introductions
- 30-40 minutes -interviews with professionals
- 10-15 minutes -debrief, say thank you, and share contact information (business cards, resumes
- Meet & Greets will take place in Cintas Center (you will receive a reminder of the location)
- RSVP via Hire-a-Muskie. Mark your calendar.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE INTERVIEW?
- We will provide you with the title and bio of the business professional when you arrive at the session. Take a few minutes to review this information.
- We will have some sample interview questions to help guide your conversation.
- Be prepared to introduce yourself (e.g., your name, hometown, majors, interests, career aspirations).
- Have an answer to the questions, "Why did you pick your major (or business) as a career?" "Why did you select Xavier?"
- Reflect on your career goals, skills and interests
Your executive understands that this is likely your first networking event. S/he will help lead the conversation and encourage you to join in.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF THE ACTIVITY
- Don't be nervous or shy. Our guests are mentors and supportive of this networking activity.
- Be curious and ask questions. Take an interest in the conversation.
- Present yourself in a professional manner.
- Make a connection with a successful business person.
- Learn about careers, industry and companies of interest.
- How did you get started in your career?
- What does a typical day look like in your job?
- What are the duties associated with your job?
- What do you like best/least about your job?
- What majors, courses or skills would you recommend for a career in xxx?
- What type of work (or internship experience) are employers looking for?
- Is an advanced degree (Masters) or additional training required for this career?
- What is your advice on getting an internship in my field of study?
Or ask your own questions as the conversation progresses.
AT THE END OF YOUR MEETING
- Thank your guest for taking the time to meet with you.
- Shake hands.
- Ask for a business card if you are interested.
- Share your resume or business card as appropriate.
RSVP for the Business Executive Meet and Greet