Sports Administration (MED)
Graduate Program (MEd)
Often, what goes on behind the scenes is as exciting as what's happening on the field. The master's in Sport Administration can put you where it counts—at the nerve center of the sport industry, where planning, execution and good decision-making combine to create the best experience for athlete and fan alike.
Applications are welcome from students with a bachelor's degree and a strong interest in the field of
Applications for this program are accepted throughout the year. You may begin the program in the summer, fall or spring term.
To apply for official acceptance as a degree-seeking student, submit the following application materials to the office of graduate services:
- the graduate application form
- one official transcript sent directly from the college/university to graduate services, of all previous undergraduate and graduate course work.
- the standardized test requirement is waived for applicants who have already earned a master's degree and for those with a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA from an accredited college or university
- official test scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). The MAT is offered here at Xavier. For information about registering for the MAT, please call 513 745-3531. If you have previously taken the GRE and want to have your scores sent to Xavier, please contact GRE at 1 888 GRE-SCORE.
currentresume of work and volunteer experiences.
- one page typewritten statement of your career goals and how the Xavier
sportadministration program fits with your goals.
- two letters from professional and/or academic references who are able to assess your potential for success in this program.
- Applications are processed immediately upon receiving all of the necessary materials, and you will be notified of your status as soon as possible. The admission committee considers all of the information contained in the admission application, including prior grades, test scores, and evidence of potential for success in graduate study.
The degree is earned with a minimum of 30 semester hours. The Sports Administration program can be structured as a full- or part-time program making it possible for students to take courses at their own pace. Students may begin the program in the summer, fall or spring term.
Required Courses (15 credit hours):
|Course Name||Credit Hours|
|SPMG 521 Principles of Management in
|SPMG 596 Sport Administration: Finance||3|
|SPMG 598 Legal and Ethical Issues in Sport||3|
Additional courses are chosen from a wide range of electives, including courses such as Personnel Issues in
A three semester hour internship,
There is no comprehensive exam for this program.
SPMG 521: - Principles of Management in Sport Administration
SPMG 522: - Sport Research and Statistics
SPMG 595: - Sport Administration: Marketing
SPMG 596: - Sport Administration: Finance
SPMG 598: - Legal and Ethical Issues in Sport
Tuition & Fees
|Tuition, per credit hour||Cost|
|MED and Non-Degree Licensure/Endorsement Students||$570|
|Student Fee, per semester|
|Graduate Student Association Fee, degree seeking full-time||$8|
|Graduate Student Association Fee, degree seeking part-time||$4|
The amounts listed are for the 2019-20 school year, and include classes from Summer 2019 though Spring 2020. These amounts are updated to the most recent amounts available. For the full listing, please visit xavier.edu/costs.
The Pig Students in Xavier's sport education programs have served as volunteers, interns and employees in The Flying Pig Marathon every year since it began in 1998
Students in Xavier's sport education programs have served as volunteers, interns and employees in The Flying Pig Marathon every year since it began in 1998
Students are prepared to assume leadership roles in such sport industry areas as professional sports teams, collegiate, and high school athletics, event and facility management, manufacturer and apparel representative, country clubs, sports marketing, retail, and media.
The master's program requires a minimum of 30 credit hours consisting of 15 credit hours of core courses, 9-12 hours of electives, and 3-6 credit hours of an internship or research project.
Xavier Sport Administration alumni are employed at every major sport organization in Greater Cincinnati area, in each of the five major league professional sport leagues, and colleges and universities across the country.
Sport Administration Design
The Master of Education in
15 hours of required core courses include:
- SPMG 521 Principles of Management in Sport Administration
- SPMG 522
SportResearch and Statistics
- SPMG 595
- SPMG 596
- SPMG 598 Legal and Ethical Issues in Sport
Basketball Star Turns Sport Administration Degree into Dream to Help Youth
Sherwin Anderson was a New York City high school basketball star who came to Xavier in 1996 with high expectations for the hardwood court and few expectations for the classroom. But just the opposite happened.
The variety of course work, the real-world instructors and internship opportunities at Xavier University prepared me well for the truly unique industry that is professional sports. As an alumnus of the graduate program in sport administration at Xavier, I am very proud of the progress of the program and the opportunities it afforded me to achieve a successful career in professional sports.
As product marketing manager for interactive entertainment industry giant Electronic Arts, I am responsible for driving the marketing efforts for two of the top selling game franchises in the video game industry, Madden NFL Football and NCAA Football. Together these titles will gross over $275MM in revenue.
The Xavier sport administration program prepared me for a career in one of the fastest growing segments of the entertainment industry today; interactive video games. I have been successful in my career, in large part, due to the Sport Administration faculty and the tools and practical classroom experience I received as a student in the program. Xavier's program fully prepared me for many of the challenges I face every day in the real business world.