Sport Administration (MEd)
Often, what goes on behind the scenes is just as exciting as what's happening on the field. The master's in Sport Administration puts students at the center of Cincinnati's sport industry, where planning, execution and good decision-making combine to create the best experience for athletes and fans alike.
Students study sport management, sport marketing, sport finance, personnel, legal issues and NCAA rules and regulations. They graduate prepared to assume leadership roles at the high school, collegiate and professional levels.
Applications are welcome from students with a bachelor's degree and a strong interest in the field of sport administration. Applications for this program are accepted throughout the year. You may begin the program in the summer, fall or spring term.
To apply for official acceptance as a degree-seeking student, submit the following application materials to the office of graduate services:
- the graduate application form
- one official transcript sent directly from the college/university to graduate services, of all previous undergraduate and graduate course work.
- the standardized test requirement is waived for applicants who have already earned a master's degree and for those with a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA from an accredited college or university
- official test scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). The MAT is offered here at Xavier. For information about registering for the MAT, please call 513 745-3531. If you have previously taken the GRE and want to have your scores sent to Xavier, please contact GRE at 1 888 GRE-SCORE.
- current resume of work and volunteer experiences.
- one page typewritten statement of your career goals and how the Xavier sport administration program fits with your goals.
- two letters from professional and/or academic references who are able to assess your potential for success in this program.
- Applications are processed immediately upon receiving all of the necessary materials, and you will be notified of your status as soon as possible. The admission committee considers all of the information contained in the admission application, including prior grades, test scores, and evidence of potential for success in graduate study.
The degree is earned with a minimum of 30 semester hours. The Sports Administration program can be structured as a full- or part-time program making it possible for students to take courses at their own pace. Students may begin the program in the summer, fall or spring term.
Required Courses (15 credit hours):
- SPMG 521 Principles of Management in Sport Administration............ 3cr.
- SPMG 522 Sport Research and Statistics............ 3cr.
- SPMG 595 Sport Administration: Marketing............ 3cr.
- SPMG 596 Sport Administration: Finance............ 3cr.
- SPMG 598 Legal and Ethical Issues in Sport............ 3cr.
Additional courses are chosen from a wide range of electives, including courses such as Personnel Issues in Sport Management; NCAA: Rules, Regulations, and Policies; Women and Sport; Public Relations and Communications in Sport; and Administration of Fitness and Wellness Programs.
A three semester hour internship, six semester hour internship, or a research project is required, depending on each student's individual background and career goals. Cincinnati sports teams and sport and health organizations provide tremendous opportunities for internships for XU students. Interns are supervised by a sport management practitioner.
There is no comprehensive exam for this program.
SPMG 521 – Principles of Management in Sport Administration
Past, current and future trends in the field of sport management. Administrative theory, function, and application within the field of sport management.
SPMG 522 – Sport Research and Statistics
This course is designed to introduce students to research methods and basic statistics associated with the field of sport and physical activity.
SPMG 595 – Sport Administration: Marketing
The evolution of the field, its place in our economy, a marketing plan, current trends, case histories. Proposals offered by promoters. Career in sport marketing.
SPMG 596 – Sport Administration: Finance
Sport and athletic/not-for-profit budgets-program based, project based, and line-item based. Formulating budgets. Budgeting cycles, political ramifications imposed and utilized in the federal cycle, fiscal year, and reserves. Financial markets, cash management, and municipal underwriting of recreation and parks facilities. Scale sheets, bond issues, BAN, VKX, sinking funds, etc. Grand writing. Sources of funding, and endowment foundations.
SPMG 598 – Legal and Ethical Issues in Sport & Physical Education
Legal and ethical issues with regard to youth, school, college, amateur and professional sport.
Tuition and Fees
Graduates of Xavier's Sport Administration programs have accepted leadership positions in many settings and industries, including
Professional Sports Teams
Colleges and Universities
High School Athletics
Event and Facility Management
Manufacturing and Apparel
All for one
Full-time faculty have doctoral degrees in sport administration as well as practical experience in the field. Adjunct professors are carefully chosen for their expertise and current involvement in specific areas of the field.
Real World Learning
All students complete an internship or research project, depending on each student's individual background, interests and career goals.
Xavier Sport Administration alumni are employed at every major sport organization in Cincinnati, in each of the five major league professional sport leagues and colleges and universities across the country.
Sport Administration (MEd) Program at Xavier University
The Master of Education in Sport Administration combines the academic strength of a Xavier education with the opportunities of the Cincinnati sport industry. Students study sport management, sport marketing, sport finance, personnel, legal issues, and NCAA rules and regulations, developing knowledge and leadership skills that prepare them for success in one of today's fastest-growing industries.
Xavier University's College of Professional Sciences prepares undergraduate and graduate students intellectually, morally and spiritually for careers and professions of service. CPS challenges students to strive for academic excellence and life-long learning through promoting collaboration and community partnerships, and incorporating research, scholarship and innovation.
Xavier University is a private university located in Cincinnati, Ohio, providing a liberal arts education in the Jesuit Catholic tradition. Founded in 1831, the University is the sixth-oldest Catholic university in the nation. It has been ranked among the top 10 master's-level universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report for the past two decades. The Princeton Review names it one of the "Best 385 Colleges in America."