COVID Support: Testing, Treatment, and Tracing
Xavier continues to work closely with our TriHealth partners to develop strategies for COVID-19 testing, treatment plans for students who may be exposed or infected and contract tracing practices to protect the wellbeing of our community members.
Key to our success is our collective efforts to care for our University community. Students are expected to support and follow all of Xavier's Community Commitments, which include the testing, treatment and tracing guidelines described below. Failure to comply with these expectations may result in a referral to the University's Student Conduct process and potential disciplinary action.
- Student Health Services, located on campus in the Health United Building has active virus testing available for students who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and for those who have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. Each student's situation will be evaluated by a medical provider on a case-by-case basis and testing protocols will follow clinical guidelines.
- Active virus testing is available by calling 513-745-3022, option 3, to schedule an appointment during regular business hours (8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday).
- Students are advised to contact Health Services immediately should they begin to experience symptoms associated with COVID-19. Students will be provided an appointment for further medical evaluation and guidance.
- Students who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should limit their exposure to others and should NOT attend in-person classes or activities prior to visiting Student Health Services.
- Students experiencing the onset of COVID-19 symptoms or signs after 5:00 p.m. weekdays or on Saturday or Sunday are advised to call the after-hours nurse line at 513-246-7023 and identify themselves as a student from Xavier University.
- Students who receive a positive test at an off-campus facility are expected to contact Student Health Services or submit a Student Concern Report so that University support measures and contact tracing can be provided.
Treatment (Including Quarantine & Isolation)
- All students awaiting test results or who have received a positive test result will be advised to leave the Xavier community and return to their permanent residence if they can do so safely. Travel considerations and family risk factors will be important considerations in this safety assessment.
- Students who cannot return home safely while awaiting test results will be required to quarantine until the results are communicated.
- Students who cannot return home safely after receiving a positive test result will be required to isolate.
- On-campus resident students will have access to on-campus quarantine/isolation spaces.
- Off-campus residents will receive support from Xavier staff to identify self-quarantine/isolation strategies in their off campus residence.
- To be prepared for potential quarantine/isolation needs, on-campus resident students are required to maintain an emergency bag of extra personal belongings to facilitate a smooth transition to quarantine/isolation space. Items to consider include:
- Cleaning supplies (ex. antibacterial spray or wipes)
- Extra washable face coverings (required on campus)
- Hand soap/sanitizer
- Facial tissues
- Non-perishable foods for your room
- Personal hygiene products
- Medical information (i.e. insurance information)
- Students will not be permitted to return to their on-campus housing until they receive clearance from Student Health Services. Therefore, students will need to retrieve all items needed for a potential 14-day quarantine/isolation period before moving to the prepared on-campus quarantine/isolation location.
- Xavier will provide additional support to all students (on-campus and off-campus residents) who are quarantined/isolated.
- Support measures will include contact from Xavier's COVID Support team and daily monitoring by Student Health Services clinical staff.
- Guests, including family members, are prohibited in all on-campus quarantine/isolation spaces.
- Student Health Services will coordinate procedures to provide medical clearance to students for their release from quarantine/isolation requirements and permission to return to regular activities.
- Xavier has developed a comprehensive contact tracing process to identify the "close contacts" of all confirmed COVID cases within the Xavier student population.
- In coordination with public health officials, Xavier will support students with suspected or confirmed infections to help them recall everyone with whom they have had close contact during the timeframe while they may have been infectious.
- Xavier's COVID Support team will contact exposed individuals and quickly and confidentially advise them of their potential exposure.
- Xavier's Student Health Services communicates regularly with local health departments and shares information as requested to promote public health.