Ohio COVID-19 Travel Advisory Guidance
The state of Ohio has recommended that those coming into Ohio from states reporting positive testing rates of 15% or higher for COVID-19 self-quarantine for 14 days. As of July 29, 7 states meet this criteria: Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, and South Carolina. Previously, Georgia, Nevada, and Texas had been on the advisory list. Xavier has consulted with TriHealth and with the Cincinnati and Norwood Health Departments to develop the following guidance to assist students and their families with following this recommendation. Xavier is dedicated to providing a healthy, safe, and secure environment for our community.
Students traveling from the identified states may take the following steps:
- For most students, classes begin on Monday, Aug. 17. Therefore, the 14-day self-quarantine period begins on Monday, Aug. 3. The quarantine period should be adjusted forward for planned campus arrival prior to Aug. 17.
- Students and family members who will accompany them to Xavier for move-in are strongly urged to self-quarantine in their home state for 14 days prior to travel to campus. This means staying home, separating from others outside the home, monitoring health and following directions from the local health department.
- Students may self-quarantine for 14 days in their off-campus residence, at another residence in Ohio, or in a state not listed in the travel advisory (EX: staying with a relative or friend). Students may travel to Ohio and self-quarantine off-campus for at least 14 days prior to the start of classes.
- Students unable to self-quarantine for 14 days immediately prior to arrival on campus should begin their self-quarantine for 14 days as soon as possible and should contact their advisors, success coach (undergraduates), or instructors to discuss options for remote course work during the self-quarantine period.
Safe Health Practices
Regardless of home state, all students are encouraged to engage in safe health practices for 14 days prior to arrival on campus–in keeping with guidelines from the state of Ohio and Xavier’s campus safety protocols:
- Practice 6 feet of distance.
- Wear masks when indoors, and when outdoors and unable to maintain 6 feet of distance.
- Wash hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid house parties or get-togethers at restaurants or bars.
- Exercise caution when considering gatherings such as neighborhood picnics, family celebrations, or other community events.
Xavier is working hard to make campus as safe as possible for returning students and employees. Our collective efforts to care for our University community will be key to success. Prior to arrival on campus, all Xavier students will be asked to acknowledge and affirm their cooperation with Xavier Community Commitments which include these self-quarantine guidelines. More information regarding the process for making the All for One and One for All commitment is forthcoming.