Study and Learning Spaces
In order to accommodate for social distancing, furniture layouts throughout campus had to be changed, including social and study areas. These changes required the removal of furniture and an overall reduction in seating capacity. To off-set the lost seat count, the university is repurposing a few spaces on campus to create new quiet study spaces, remote learning spaces, and social areas. See below for a comprehensive list of all of these types of spaces – both new and old:
*Food Services or Vending Available
Quiet Study Spaces
These areas are great for students looking for a quiet place to study alone. Each individual seat is at least 6ft apart and is not conducive for group studying. Activities that require a student to talk, ie. online class, should not take place in these spaces. In these spaces, some additional power has been provided where possible and most seats will have a table or tablet arm. Some of these spaces will be able to be reserved by faculty for students to take exams. When a reservation is made, signage will be placed in the area of the reservation. Faculty will be responsible for all exam administration and proctoring.
- Alter Lobbies – 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, 3rd Floor, and Basement *
- Cohen Lounge
- Hailstones - Lobby and Lounge on 1st Floor, Commons on Lower Level
- McDonald Library – 1st Floor, 3rd Floor
- Cintas Center – James & Caroline Duff Banquet Center (Available 8a-5p M-F)
- HUB - Spine on 1st Floor, 4th Floor Commons *
Remote Learning and Social Areas
These spaces are great for taking your online class (with your headphones on), studying in socially distant groups (masks on of course), eating a meal, or just hanging out. These spaces are typically more lively and noisy.
- Gallagher Student Center – Common Areas, Arrupe Overlook, Lower Level Atrium, Clock Tower Lounge *
- Conaton Learning Commons – Atrium Areas *
- McDonald Library – 2nd Floor
- Smith Hall – Lobby *
Good weather? These spaces are great for eating a meal, studying, or just relaxing. Outdoor tables and chairs are now spaced to promote social distancing. Also, circles will be painting in the Xavier Yard to indicate where to hang out. These spaces are available unless reserved for an event or program.
- Upper Yard
- Gallagher Student Center – Concourse, Amphitheater, South Patio, Ryan’s Patio
- Xavier Yard
- Smith Hall – Rooftop Terrace
- HUB – Patio on the 4th Floor
- McDonald Library – Outdoor Garden on the 1st Floor