Ignatian Gifts and Vision
Gifts of Our Ignatian Heritage
MISSION invites us to understand the history and importance of our Jesuit heritage and Ignatian spirituality. Mission focuses on the centrality of academic excellence, grounded in a Catholic faith tradition.
DISCERNMENT invites us to be open to God's spirit as we consider our feelings and rational thought in order to make decisions and take action that will contribute good to our lives and the world around us.
REFLECTION invites us to pause and consider the world around us and our place within it.
SERVICE ROOTED IN JUSTICE AND LOVE invites us to invest our lives into the well-being of our neighbors, particularly those who suffer injustice.
SOLIDARITY and KINSHIP invites us to walk alongside and learn from our companions, both local and afar, as we journey through life.
CURA PERSONALIS invites us to care for others recognizing the uniqueness and wholeness of each person.
MAGIS invites us to ask, "Where is the more universal good?" when making difficult decisions; it relates to the Jesuit motto, For the Greater Glory of God.
- Sees life and the whole universe as a gift calling forth wonder and gratefulness.
- Gives ample scope to imagination and emotion as well as intellect.
- Seeks to find the divine in all things - in all peoples and cultures, in all areas of study and learning, in every human experience (and, for the Christian, especially in the person of Jesus).
- Cultivates critical awareness of personal and social evil, but points to God's love as more powerful than any evil.
- Stresses freedom, need for discernment, and responsible action.
- Empowers people to become leaders in service, "men and women for others," "whole persons of solidarity," building a more just and humane world.