Thomas Clark, Ph.D.
Professor, Management & Entrepreneurship
Thomas Clark, Ph.D., President of CommuniSkills and Professor of Management at Xavier University, has been a writing and oral communication consultant for a wide variety of businesses including Procter & Gamble, “the business writing capital of the world,” where he has led over 500 business communication workshops. He has also taught workshops for other Fortune 500 companies, including General Electric, Microsoft, Nestle, AK Steel, General Cable, Mars Petcare and Kellogg.
He has published three books on business communication and one on career strategies, as well as numerous scholarly and pedagogical articles.
He has been honored with two Teacher of the Year awards at Xavier, one from the College of Business and one from student-athletes. The US Small Business Administration has recognized him with three national awards for teaching excellence in the field of entrepreneurship. He earned his doctorate at Indiana University and is certified as an instructor in both Crucial Conversations and Crucial Accountability.
First Year at Xavier
- BA, MA, Ph.D (Indiana University)
- Baucus, M.S., Human, S.E., Clark, T. and Rosenthal, DW. (March 2011). P&G is selling Oxydol. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 35:2, 395-407.
- Stewart, J. & Clark, T. (Fall 2011). Lessons from South Park: A Comic Corrective to Environmental Puritanism, Environmental Communication, 5:3, 320-336
- Clark, T. & Stewart, Jeff. (December 2010). Using Document Design Techniques to Help Students Learn to Create More Effective Wikis. Business Communication Quarterly, 453-6.
- Power Communication, SouthWestern College Publishing, 1994; 2nd ed, Kendall Hunt 2010
- Career Strategies, SouthWestern College Publishing, 2000; 2nd ed. Kendall-Hunt, 2010
- Clark, T. (2005) “The Business Profession: Gateway to Career Success.” Business Communication Quarterly, 68:3, 271-289
- Human, S. E., Clark, T., and Baucus, M. S. (February 2005). Student online self-assessment: Structuring individual-level learning, Journal of Management Education
- Human, S. E., Clark, T., Baucus, M. S., and Eustis, S. (Spring/Summer, 2004). Idea or prime opportunity? A framework for evaluating business ideas for new and small ventures. Journal of Small Business Strategy, 15:1, 61-79.
- “The Impact of profitability, certainty, and degree of fine on the persuasiveness of environmental assessment reports. The Journal of Business Communication, April 2002, 169-192. (with Candace Gunnarsson) Winner of award by Association of Business Communication for best paper in the field of Business Communication for 2002.
- Executive Writer Program. Harcourt-Brace-Jovanovich, 1988.
- Cincinnati Small Business Assistance Directory (& Seik), Arthur Andersen, 2 eds., 1983 & 1985
- The Writing Process. (& Carter) Brown, 1979.
- The Self-Made American. Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1979.