Safe on Campus - Library
The library is following all University guidelines regarding the safe return to campus for students, faculty, and staff. This page outlines the specific safety measures and operating procedures in place in McDonald Library and at the Connection Center in the Conaton Learning Commons (CLC). The library provides support and resources for faculty and students in a remote learning environment as well. For any questions, email the library staff at email@example.com.
The University has revised the health protocols on campus effective June 2, 2021. Visitors to McDonald Library and the CLC should follow these guidelines when in the buildings and on campus.
Library and CLC Hours
- Monday-Friday: 8:00am-5:00pm
- Saturday: 12:00pm-4:00pm
For break and holiday hours, see here.
Masks and Social Distancing
Effective June 2, 2021, per the University health protocols:
- Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask or physically distance. People are welcome to continue wearing a mask if they would like.
- Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated people are at a significantly higher risk of getting COVID-19 and suffering its devastating toll. As such, unvaccinated individuals should continue to protect themselves using mitigation measures, such as masking and social distancing.
- Entry and exit doors are still clearly marked. Until further notice, follow these guidelines to help facilitate social distancing when coming in and going out of buildings
- The furniture in the public spaces and classrooms has been set to maintain social distancing. Proper placement is indicated by white tape lines on the floor. The furniture placement will be assessed over the summer; until further notice, please continue to not move the furniture
Study and Zoom Space
There are spaces available on all floors of the library and CLC for quiet study, participating in online classes via Zoom, and group work. Students are encouraged to make use of the spaces as needed, while observing social distancing if appropriate and being considerate of fellow students. General guidelines include:
- Library: basement, 1st and 3rd floors
Online with Zoom
- Library: 2nd floor (moveable panels allow students to configure spaces for privacy and comfort)
- CLC: 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors
- CLC: 5th floor (follow procedures for appointments with student support services on this floor as well)
Group Study Rooms
There are twelve group study rooms in the CLC available to reserve online.
In-Person Check Out
Items may be checked out and holds picked up in person at the Connection Center on the 3rd floor of the CLC. Plexiglas dividers remain in place to provide protection between patrons and staff members.
Quick Pickup (Contactless)
Place a hold on Xavier owned materials in XPLORE using the Request button and set an appointment for the time you wish to pick up the item(s). Library staff will check out the item(s) to your account and have them ready when you arrive. You may request Quick Pickup for materials coming from OhioLINK as well. You can make the pick up appointment by clicking the link at the time of placing the hold for Xavier materials, from the email letting you know your hold is ready, or by following this link.
Returning Library Items
Materials may be returned with no contact to the Connection Center desk, the book return to the left of the McDonald Library entrance (across from Hinkle Hall), or the book return to the left of the CLC main 3rd floor entrance.
Umbrellas, phone chargers, and calculators are available for check out. All items will be sanitized upon return.
Librarians are available for virtual research assistance Monday-Friday, 10:00am-2:00pm by chat from the library's homepage, text at 513-773-3263, and email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may contact your personal librarian by email or to request a Zoom consultation.
Library instruction is available and faculty are encouraged to work with their librarian liaison to schedule classes. Instruction may be either virtual via Zoom or in person depending on the research needs and librarian and faculty preferences. Librarians also can create video demonstrations of research databases and search strategies, as well as course- or topic-specific research guides.
University Archives and Special Collections
Laptops are available for daily check out at the Connection Center and will be sanitized between transactions. If you are a student in need of a laptop long-term for remote learning, email email@example.com to request this.
Laptops, document cameras, and iPads are available for faculty to check out for long-term use. Contact Meg Martin for questions about these.
Public Computers, Printers, and Multi-Functional Devices (Copiers)
Workstations and equipment are available on the 1st floor of McDonald, the 2nd floor of McDonald and CLC, and the 3rd floor of CLC. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before and after using the equipment. Do not clean equipment with disinfectant or sanitizer.
Visitor logins for the public computers are not available. For special events or exceptions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visitors may access the Xavier wireless guest network with their personal devices.
MiscellaneousThe hydration stations on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors of McDonald are available. The water fountains in both buildings are turned off.
For questions about the library's response to COVID-19 and safe operations on campus, contact Alison Morgan.