Remote Learning Services
The library supports the research needs of Xavier students, working on or off campus, by providing the following services and resources. Get started by working through the following questions.
Welcome to University Library
Librarian & Research Help
Connect from Off-Campus
Search for Sources
- Search@XU tab: What is it and how do I use it?
- Search@XU tab: How do I obtain journal articles?
- Books & Media tab: How do I access electronic books?
- Databases tab: How do I access databases?
- How can I limit my large number of search results?
- My instructor mentioned XU Tutor. What is it?
Borrow & Renew Library Material
- How do I borrow physical books, media items, or other physical library materials?
- How do I renew materials?
WCB Trading Room Resources
Two resources that are usually only available in the Fifth Third Trading Room in Smith Hall are available remotely during this time of COVID-19. To access:
- Bloomberg Terminals: For remote login, please see these print and video instructions.
- Capital IQ: Capital IQ in now available for on campus and remote use. Access Capital IQ here.
Answers to Common Questions
Librarians are available for research assistance by chat Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-12:30pm from the library's homepage, in person Monday-Thursday, 12:30pm-4:00pm at the Connection Center Desk in the CLC, by text at 513-773-3263, and by email at email@example.com. You also may contact your personal librarian by email or to request an in-person or Zoom meeting.
When you access library research resources from off campus, you will be prompted for your Xavier credentials using the Microsoft Authentication app, which are the full email address and password that you use to log into your Xavier email and Canvas.
Select your Xavier email account.
Enter your Xavier password, then Sign in.
Next, you must approve the sign in request from your Microsoft Authenticator app.
If you experience issues accessing the databases or full text articles after you have entered your correct credentials, please email the library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When working remotely and logged on to the Global Protect Virtual Private Network (VPN), you may encounter an error message when trying to access library resources that require authentication (EZ Proxy prefix is in front of the resource URL). If you get a "Secure Connection Failed" error, log out of the VPN and re-authenticate in order to gain access to the resource. We are working with IT to correct this issue.
Start researching with the Search@XU Quick Guide.
Also, learn about advanced searching from the Search@XU Advanced Search video.
- Select the PDF icon labeled "PDF Full Text" to access a copy of the article.
- If the "PDF Full Text" option is not available, click the "FIND IT @ XU" icon to determine if the article is available electronically. After selecting Find It @ XU, click on one of the available links to access the article.
- If no full text is available from the "Find It @ XU" links, click on this link Request an item from Xavier and non-Xavier collections to request the source through the library’s interlibrary loan system. Articles will be delivered electronically to your interlibrary loan account and you will receive an email with instructions on how to access them. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to disrupt library services, please allow more time than usual to obtain resources through interlibrary loan.
You can search the library's e-book collections from the library's homepage. Choose the Books and Media tab, which accesses the Xplore library catalog. You can also search for e-books through Search@XU. Limit your results in the left menu to Xavier Xplore/OhioLINK Catalog Only and look for the eBook icon in your results.
XU Tutor are self-guided library tutorials that will help you research more effectively while saving you time and helping you succeed at Xavier. Click here to access XU Tutor.
Items may be checked out and holds picked up in person at the Connection Center on the 3rd floor of the CLC. Patrons must be wearing a mask to receive service at the desk. Plexiglas dividers are in place to provide protection between patrons and staff members. Observe the social distancing markers on the floor in front of the desk and keep 6' between you, other patrons, and staff members at all times.No-Contact Hold Pickup
Place a hold on Xavier owned materials in XPLORE using the Request button and set an appointment for the time you wish to pick up the item(s). Library staff will check out the item(s) to your account and have them ready when you arrive. You can make the appointment by clicking the link at the time of placing the hold, from the email letting you know your hold is ready, or by following this link.
You may renew materials in person at the Connection Center on the 3rd floor of the CLC, by calling 513-745-3881, or by emailing email@example.com.If you have any questions about library resources or services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.