Interlibrary Loan FAQs
Who can use Interlibrary Loan/Resource Sharing services?
Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and Jesuit visitors may borrow materials through this service. As a borrower you agree to accept responsibility for items loaned from the Lending Library. Resource Sharing is a service that encompasses Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and scanning of materials for Canvas or faculty personal research. Xavier University Library provides ILL to our Alumni, Faculty, Staff, Students, Jesuit and other academic scholars. As a borrower you agree to accept responsibility for items lent through Resource Sharing from a Lending Library. Xavier University Library currently subsidizes the fees associated with borrowing materials.
How do I create my Interlibrary Loan account?
Current Xavier Faculty, Staff and Students:
- An account will be created for you automatically.
- Once an ILL account is established you will log in using your Xavier email address, password, and Microsoft Authentication.
Alumni and Jesuit Visitors:
- Fill out the interlibrary loan account form to request an interlibrary loan account. Use your current email address.
- You will be notified of your account username and you will need to set your own password.
- Then you will log in choosing the alumni button
What kind of materials may not be borrowed?
All attempts are made to obtain materials, but Lending Libraries do have policies limiting what they loan such as:
- Reference materials and some foreign materials
- Rare, valuable, or very old materials
- Entire issues of journals and some electronic titles
- Some theses and dissertations
- Materials with local circulation restrictions
- Some media materials
- Books published within the last year and textbooks
How do I obtain a book or media not in XPLORE, OhioLINK or SearchOhio?Interlibrary Loan Request Form
How do I obtain journal articles not at Xavier?
Make sure the article title is not available in either a PDF or HTML digital format from the following:
- If in a research databases click FINDIT@XU
- Or type the journal title in to the Electronic Journals tab search box
- Check Google Scholar for the author and title of the article
- Some ERIC documents are full text from the database
- Fill out the Interlibrary Loan Request Form, if the article is not available electronically
How do I obtain books in the library annex?
- In XPLORE search for the book title
- Click on the Request button and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Items will be available Mon-Friday by 5pm, late Friday thru Sunday requests will be available by 5pm Monday.
How do I obtain articles in the library annex?
Fill out the Interlibrary Loan Request Form.
How do I obtain a Dissertation or Thesis?
- Go to ProQuest Full-Text Dissertations and Theses and key in the author and title of work as the database you found the citation in is not part of this subscriptions service.
- If available electronically a link will be present.
- If not, then submit an Interlibrary Loan Request Form
How long does it take to get items from other libraries?
Turnaround time depends upon the availability of the item and the cooperation of the Lending Library.
- Borrowed items usually arrive within 5-21 work days.
- Copies of articles or chapter readings are sent electronically within 1-7 work days.
How am I notified my library materials have arrived?
An email will be sent notifying you of it's availability. Loanable items will be held for 10 days at the Connection Center service desk for check-out during business hours. A second notice will be sent before the item is returned.
Articles are sent electronically to your Interlibrary Loan account within 1-7 business days. You will receive an email when it has been posted to your account.
How long may I use the materials?
The due date of a loanable item is determined by the Lending Library and marked on the book wrap.
How do I renew materials?
Please note the Due Date on the bookwrap. You can renew + or - 6 days of the due date. One additional renewal is usually allowed. Log into Interlibrary Loan, view your displayed items in account details and select renew for the item title.
Note: Some items cannot be renewed based on Lending Library policies.
What if I need the materials immediately?
If you need the materials right away and they are available at a local SWON or any OhioLINK library, you may go directly to the library and borrow (using your ALL Card) or copy the materials you need. The Reference or Resource Sharing staff can assist you in locating libraries that own the materials you need.
Where should I return the library books I have borrowed?
Materials borrowed through Interlibrary Loan must be returned to the Connection Center desk on the 3rd floor of the CLC or the bookdrop located on the first floor of McDonald Library.
How much does it cost?
Fees for Resource Sharing services are currently subsidized by Xavier University Library. You will however be responsible for replacement fees if the item is lost.
What if I'm an Online Student?
If you live beyond 30 miles from XU Campus we will FedEx your books to you. A return mailing label is provided to return materials back to campus. You will need to let staff know when you receive an email that the item has been received at Xavier Library (firstname.lastname@example.org). Articles are sent electronically, to your email.
Be mindful of due dates on the books as it is your responsibility to renew them if ILL or OhioLINK items.
Where can I get more information?
Visit the Resource Sharing office on the 3rd floor Room 335 of the Conaton Learning Commons
- Sidnie Reed: (513) 745- 4812 or email@example.com
- Samantha Devereaux (513) 745-2046 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reference: (513) 745-4808
- Connection Center service desk (3rd floor of the Conaton Learning Commons)