General Congregation 36 (GC36)
What is a General Congregation?
General Congregations are the supreme legislative body of the Society of Jesus consisting of major ("provincial") superiors and locally elected representatives. It is called to elect a new superior general when the previous one dies or resigns and/or to address major issues confronting Jesuit works and Jesuit life. There have been 35 such congregations in the more than 450 years of the order. The most recent General Congregation met from January to March 2008 to accept Peter-Hans Kolvenbach's resignation at age 80 and to elect his replacement, Adolfo Nicolás.
Arturo Sosa, SJ elected as new Superior General:
- Decree of the Election
- Video immediately after Fr. Sosa's election
- Photos of the election of the Superior General
- Biography of Fr. Arturo Sosa, SJ
- Text of the homily offered at the Mass of the Holy Spirit on the day of Fr. Sosa' election
Information About GC36:
- Official General Congregation 36 Website
- 3-minute video primer on GC36
- Pray Along with GC36
- Infographic of Past General Congregations
- Information about the GC36 logo
Preparing for GC36:
- 10 Facts About Jesuit General Congregations
- British Jesuits Prepare for the Congregation
- Conversation with Fr. Adolfo Nicolás about GC36
- Jesuit Superior General Convokes GC36
- Canadian and US Jesuits Prepare for the Congregation
- Ten Facts about Jesuit General Congregations
- History of the Jesuit General Congregations
- Fr. Adolfo Nicolás' Biography Page and Major Addresses
- The Jesuits' Congregation: A Historical View by Father John O-Malley, SJ
- Jesuit Curia in Rome
- Jesuits in the United States
- Jesuits in Latin America
- Jesuits in Europe
- Jesuits in Asia Pacific
- Jesuits in South Asia
Information about the Superior General's Resignation
Prayer for General Congregation 36:
God our Father, almighty and merciful,
You sent Your Son Jesus, Your living Word,
to save the human race by His life, death, and resurrection,
and You send Your Holy Spirit to inspire and accompany Your pilgrim Church on earth.
With confidence, we pray for the Society that bears the name of Jesus:
Grant the 36th General Congregation openness to hear your Spirit
so that we may live for the greater glory of your name,
faithful to our history and the example of the saints who have gone before us.
Give us the spirit to serve beneath the banner of the Cross on behalf of Your Church,
a profound love for the world You have created and entrusted to Your people,
the grace to see with Your eyes the beauty and suffering of our sisters and brothers,
hearts that beat in union with Your heart, loving You and serving You in all things.
We ask all this through Jesus, the Savior who sets us free. Amen.
Mary, Mother of the Society of Jesus, intercede for us.
All you Saints of the Society, pray for us.
- Father Severin Leitner, S.J.
- Adolfo Nicolás
- General Congregation
- Restoration of the Society of Jesus
- Society of Jesus
- Society of Jesus around the world
- Superior General
- Suppression of the Society of Jesus (1773-1814)
- Click here for more terms
Past General Congregations:
GC 35 - 2008
Election of Fr. Adolfo Nicolas as the new Superior General of the Society
From January to March of 2008, the Society of Jesus celebrated the General Congregation 35. After the election of Fr. Adolfo Nicolás as new Father General, the Congregation, during two months, was debating different issues related with the mission, the structure, and the identity of the Society. This web site has been the window through which we have been witnessing to the world all this important event. View more
- The Decrees of General Congregation 35 (full text)
- GC35. Decree 1
- GC35. Decree 2
- GC35. Decree 3
- GC35. Decree 4
- GC35. Decree 5
- GC35. Decree 6
- General Congregation Description (by George Traub, S.J.)
- Congregation video clip
- GC34, Decree 18
- GC34, Decree 17
- GC34, Decree 13
- GC34, Decree 2
GC 33 - 1983
Election of Fr. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach as the new Superior General of the Society
GC 32 - 1974-1975
GC 31 - 1965-1966
Election of Fr. Pedro Arrupe as the new Superior General of the Society
- Daily Examen
- Anima Christi
- Perfect Resignation
- Help Me To Discern
- Deep Listening
- Prayer for Humility
- A Blessing Prayer
- A Step Closer
- Click here for more prayers
- Character / Ethics / Virtue
- Men and Women for Others
- Click here for more quotes
The Suppression of the Society of Jesus:
The Restoration of the Society of Jesus:
The Daily Examen for Diversity
This adaptation of the Daily Examen helps one reflect on their experience with diversity with five points for spiritual thanksgiving, grace, and introspection. The coated 3.5"x2" card fits easily in wallets and purses for long-lasting convenience.
This handsome, spiral-bound "undated" planner is perfect for faculty, staff, and students alike. Its pages include quotes, illustrations, and reflections. Use it for your daily schedule or journaling.
Do You Speak Ignatian?
A mini-dictionary that defines many of the terms used in conversations in Ignatian and Jesuit circles. More than 70,000 copies of this publication have been distributed around the world.
To subscribe to our online newsletter or provide feedback,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To unsubscribe from our online newsletter, click here.
Jesuitresource.org is developed by
The Center for Mission and Identity at Xavier University
with support from the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education
To learn more about us, click here.