Xavier University carries out its mission through the individual and collective contributions of a committed and engaged workforce. Employees need to understand how their respective contributions are aligned with University goals. They desire to be supported, treated with respect and recognized for unique styles and skills. Likewise, supervisors build trust by acting in a transparent manner and initiating ongoing feedback.
This mutual understanding is at the heart of Xavier's Performance Management program.
Our program enables all employees to perform at their best by:
- Aligning the work performed by supervisors and employees with departmental and university goals
- Encouraging communication between supervisor and employee throughout the year so there are no surprises at the annual Performance Review session
- Promoting a consistent methodology in performance assessment through fairness and transparency
- Fostering and rewarding excellent performance
The benefits of goal setting are:
- Connects each employee's goals to the University goals
- Allows employees to set goals for their own personal and professional growth
- Breaks strategy down into relevant, measurable and attainable elements
- Drives University achievement in key areas (development, campus enhancement, financial well-being as well as employee growth and engagement)
Managers and employees should develop goals together and document them at the start of the fiscal year. Ideally, this should happen immediately after the annual performance review discussion. The goals should support the overall objectives of the organization, which should in turn help in the achievement of the specific goals of the Xavier Way. Goals may be altered, or perhaps even added, as the year progresses and new challenges arise.
Achieving Our Goals Phase
This phase essentially runs year-round. It includes the execution of our day-to-day jobs as well as working on specific initiatives or projects that are part of our goals. Frequent communication among all team members will help to keep these efforts on track and avoid any surprises.
Evaluating and Rewarding Phase
APRIL 3 - MAY 4, 2018
There are some minor changes to the annual review process for 2018, including:
- Introduction of a 90-day Performance Review form
- Added emphasis on the need for professional development
- A reminder to begin the goal-setting process for 2018-2019
Employees and supervisors are encouraged to attend the information sessions provided by Human Resources, which are listed below.
A productive annual performance review process melds goal-planning and goal-achievement phases. When carried out reflectively, it's a natural continuum rooted in mission and cascading from institutional priorities outlined above.
Evaluation elements include:
- Xavier's Performance Review forms (which includes supervisor assessments and employee self-assessments)
- One-on-one meeting between supervisor and employee to discuss the annual review and begin the goal-setting process for the new fiscal year
Xavier University maintains a total compensation philosophy which attracts, retains and rewards an accomplished and diverse faculty and staff. The University affirms that those who serve the institution, including faculty, staff and administrators, are ultimately responsible for fulfilling our mission and achieving our goals. The Reward Phase, a merit-based feature of this total system, is dependent upon performance.
|Employee Information Sessions, Dates, & Time
(click the live links below to register)
|Monday, March 26, 2018: 3:00-4:00pm||OHR Conference Room - 132 Alumni|
|Tuesday, March 27, 2018: 1:30-2:30pm||OHR Conference Room - 132 Alumni|
|Wednesday, March 28, 2018: 1:30-2:30pm||OHR Conference Room - 132 Alumni|
|Supervisor Information Sessions, Dates, & Time
(click the live links below to register)
|Monday, March 26, 2018: 1:30-2:30pm||OHR Conference Room - 132 Alumni|
|Tuesday, March 27, 2018: 3:00-4:00pm||OHR Conference Room - 132 Alumni|
|Wednesday, March 28, 2018: 3:00-4:00pm||OHR Conference Room - 132 Alumni|
|Employee/Supervisor One-on-Ones April 3 - Early May|
|Completed Performance Reviews due to Division Leaders by May 4th, 2018|
Tools for Annual Performance Review Process
Tools for Goal Setting