Once you receive your list of students, please look at their preferred method of communication (if one was submitted by a student). Depending on that preference, feel free to use the following suggested guidelines and adjust as needed:
When a student or parent answers the phone
Hi (student's name). My name is (your name). I am a graduate of Xavier University or I am a parent of a current Xavier student or I am a current Xavier faculty member. Thank you for your interest in Xavier. I'm calling to congratulate you on your admission to Xavier! (Student name), the more you look at Xavier; I think you will find that this is an amazing community of students, faculty, and staff who care about your success and wants to help you find your fit.
I see that you are interested in majoring in (student's intended major). How did you become interested in that?
If student is undecided or has multiple interests, ask them what types of interest they have, or reassure them that it is OK not to have decided on a major, and they will be able to explore many different areas at Xavier.
When a text message is a preferred method of contact
Hi (student's name). My name is (your name). I am a graduate of Xavier University or I am a parent of a current Xavier student or I am a current Xavier faculty member. I am reaching out to congratulate you on your admission to Xavier! Wanted to see if you might have some time we could talk over the phone and I can help answer any questions you might have about Xavier. Are you still interested in Xavier as a choice for college?
Or if you are following up a phone call with a text:
Hi (student's name). My name is (your name). I am a graduate of Xavier University or I am a parent of a current Xavier student or I am a current Xavier faculty member. Just following up a message I just left you to congratulate you on your admission to Xavier! Wanted to see if you might have some time we could talk over the phone and I can help answer any questions you might have about Xavier.
Additional Topics To Generate Further Questions Or Discussion:
- What activities have you been involved in (school or community)?
- Encourage them to visit or ask them if they enjoyed their visit.
- What classes are you taking this year in high school? Talk about Xavier faculty, small student-to-teacher ratio, class size.
- Where is Xavier on your list? Your top choice? Top three? Top five? What other schools are you considering?
- How did you hear about Xavier?
- Housing - Living on campus is great - it is how you really get to know other Xavier students and it makes it really easy to get involved and meet your professors when you need help. You will love Cincinnati - there is so much to do here and downtown is only a few minutes from campus. All Xavier students also have access to professional mentors, so there are people in Cincinnati that are taking you under their wing as a Xavier student.
- Next Steps - have you been on the Road to Xavier site? It is the best place for you to connect with other admitted students as well as some current students, and learn more about Xavier. Also, our XU Preview dates are there for March 18 and April 8, and that's a great opportunity for you to visit campus and experience it as a Xavier student. (Student's username for Road to Xavier is in their acceptance letter). You should have or will be receiving an invitation from your Xavier Admissions Counselor for a Muskie on the Road reception in your area. Those can also be found on the Road to Xavier site.
When Student Or Parent Has No More Questions
It was great talking to you (Student's name), your next step on Road to Xavier is to submit your deposit as soon as you decide that Xavier is the right place for you. If you have any questions, you can reach out to your admission counselor either on the Road to Xavier, by phone, or email. You can also reach the Office of Admission at 513-745-3301 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
(Student name), we would really love to have you as a fellow Musketeer; I hope I will see you on campus! Have a good evening.
Script When Someone Other Than Prospect Answers
Hello. My name is (your name). I am a graduate of Xavier University or the parents of a current Xavier student or current Xavier faculty member. The Office of Admission informed me that (student name) has been accepted, and I would like to speak with (student name).
If a parent answers, offer to answer basic questions or talk to them about your experiences associated with Xavier and what you are doing now. If applicable to your background, it can be helpful for parents to hear about how your Xavier experience helped you gain admission to graduate/professional school and/or how Xavier prepared you for your career.
Find out if the student will be in later that evening and if so, when you may call them back.
If the student will not be home that evening, leave a message or arrange to call back at a later date.
For Leaving A Voicemail Message
Hello. My name is (your name). I am a graduate of Xavier University, the parent of a current Xavier student or a current Xavier faculty member. I am calling for (student's name). Congratulations on your admission to Xavier. We would really love to have you as a fellow Musketeer. (Student name), the more you look at Xavier, I think you will find that this is an amazing community of students, faculty and staff who care about your success and wants to help you find your fit.
Be sure to check out the Road to Xavier website to connect with other prospective students interested in attending XU. If you have questions, please reach out to your admission counselor, who contact info is on the Road to Xavier website!
Thanks (student name). We hope to see you at Xavier.
Script For Students No Longer Interested In Xavier
If at any time, the student says she/he is no longer interested in Xavier, wish the student well at their chosen institution. Ask which school they have chosen or those they are still considering. Also ask why they are not choosing Xavier.
Reporting Your Contacts
Please take detailed notes of your conversation. You can print out the "Contact Reference Notes" page included here for your convenience, but we ask that you file an electronic report online - Click Here.
If there are any questions you do not feel comfortable answering, feel free to offer a "call back" from the admission staff at Xavier. Please make a note of the student or parent question.
If you have attempted to reach a student three times and either left a message or no one has answered, you do not need to attempt the call again. Please file a report after each attempted call, even if you don't speak with the prospective student or their parents. File contact reports only after all attempted calls have been made. Complete only one contact report per student.