College of Arts and Sciences

Care and gratitude

Many of you joined us yesterday afternoon to celebrate the deep contributions of Nan Moore and Marybeth Dulle to the college.

Day after day throughout nearly all my time as Dean, both have kept the Dean's office and the college moving forward. They have provided answers, solutions, bright ideas, organization, mentoring, and courageous honesty -- with lots of laughter and grace along the way. And both have exemplified a deep commitment to our Xavier community.

Several of you asked me how I'm feeling about the retirement (or personal reorg!) of Nan and Marybeth at nearly the same time.

One word comes to mind first: gratitude.

I am so thankful to have worked closely with both Marybeth and Nan for the past years, for what I've learned from both, and for how I and we have benefited from their care for this community and this institution.

Cura personalis? Cura apostolica? Yes, indeed.

I'm also thankful to know that both Nan and Marybeth will remain devoted members of the Xavier family -- along with their family members, who will now enjoy more time with them.

My hope for both? That they may find some more time in their next chapters for cura propria.

David Mengel